Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Never had this happen!

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  johnday 
#1 ·
I just got my straight pipe on the other day, I've had the 4" exhaust for awhile, but used the muffler. Anyway, this morning I got behind one of those bluehaired types that drive 10 below the limit for no apparent reason. So, when it was clear I pulled out and nailed it. There was some difference with that muffler out of the way!! Thing is, when it shifted up, my SES light came on. Once I got my foot out of it, it cleared. I figured it may have something to do with the boost.
Well, got home and put my reader on it, yepper, code 238 boost pressure high.
Now for a question, is this going to hurt anything? Should I go back to my trailer towing program, even though I don't plan on dragging a trailer for a while?
I must say, dropping that muffler really made a difference.;)

#3 ·
Dumb question, how do I know if it defuels, and does that hurt anything? I'm used to running the big diesels, and learning from you guys.;)

#4 ·
my truck use to defuel with my edge...it just felt like it was cutting out....I have thrown the overboost code manytimes lately sense im running larger injectors and a adrinanlin with no tunes at the moment...all the happens is the light comes on then clears after normal driving

#5 ·
That is just an over boost code..you can run a boost fooler, or some tuners get around it as well if your truck is chipped. No worries as it just means your turbo peaked over 22ish lbs. Now if you run over 27 lbs for extened periods your stock turbo will eventually pack it in much much quicker.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, so I guess I won't hurt anything, I'd just never had that happen before. Looks like I might be catching up to some of you guys with the hot trucks!!LOL
I did read an article some where about The Boost Relief Valve, looked like it ran around $45. Does anyone think that may be cheap insurance? Just to be on the safe side?;)

#7 ·
the boost relief valve just fools your map sensor into thinking its getting less air and it wont throw a code. but your turbo can still overboost

#8 ·
Just went back and reread the article. I think I see what's going on now. Anything over 22psi boost, there abouts, no more fuel is being injected. By lying to the MAP, you will continue adding additional fuel, therefore, still make power. Now, is there any danger of "over fueling"? Is this where the Injector Pressure Regulator, IPR, comes into play? And it actually regulates fuel pressure by bleeding back to the tank?
I'm not trying to be ignorant, I really am!LOL I'd really like to know just how this thing works.

#9 ·
Just to get your truck from defueling at high boost is a good reason to get a boost fooler IMO. I had that problem with both my stock turbo and my 38r and my truck just flat out cut out powerwise when tromping on it, its worth the money I thinks. As to your post above, I've gotten ICP pressure higher than desired codes but never the IPR codes. I believe their soft codes so your SES light goes off after a minute or two but they are stored in the PCM but they don't bother anything and can be cleared with a code reader, AE exct.

#10 ·
Just to get your truck from defueling at high boost is a good reason to get a boost fooler IMO. I had that problem with both my stock turbo and my 38r and my truck just flat out cut out powerwise when tromping on it, its worth the money I thinks.
Ya, it's looking like I may get one, either that or drop down a notch on my programmer.;)
It's funny how just going to a straight pipe made this much difference.

#11 ·
Wait till you stay on it for 7 sec straight or so then you might get a hpop error code.
Both are relatively harmless

#12 ·
But even with a boost fooler do not take your boost over 27psi if you want your stock turbo to last for any decent amount of time. You also are not making any more power above that but are causing drive pressures to skyrocket to more than 2x boost.

#14 ·
Thanks for the warning. It looks like I've gotten myself into a bit more than I really wanted. I just went to the 80 horse program recently, along with the straight pipe. I will go back to the 60 horse program when towing.
Oh well, let's see, a boost fooler, a boost gauge, and I'm sure there will be more.LOL
At least I've already got the 4" pipes and the 6637 intake, and probably should have had a pyro a long time ago. Geezzz, see what I mean!!LOL

#15 ·
I use to throw it with stock programing, just intake exhaust and IDM mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.