Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Alignment Help needed

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  wildstang3 
#1 ·
I need some help from some super duty guys. Here is the run down of my truck I have a 2008 crew cab short wheel base 4x4 diesel with a 2.5 readylift leveling kit and 37" toyos on the factory 20" wheels. After the install and alignment i have a pull to the right and alignment tech says its in specs. They have done it twice and no better. They thought it was a tire so they rotated the front tires and still pulls the same direction.:confused:

View attachment truck.pdf

#4 ·
take it back and tell em to shove their specs up their @ss specs are just a freakin guideline every truck is different i wish i could get away with saying its within specs there are so many nights i would have gotten to go home hours before i actually did but anyways tell them to bump up the right side caster to fix your pull thats just a tech being lazy (them tellin you its within spec)

#7 ·
I am not saying this is your issue as some tires have reps for tracking worse then other as maybe the case here. But many places doing alignment, their techs no not much more than how to follow the instruction spit out by the alignment machine's computer. Next time you go in for an alignment don't let them give that "in spec" BS. At least with the SD thru 04, the spec tolerance is so large you have the thing going sideways and it could still be in spec. Also always get a full 4 wheel alignment unless going in for something specific. If they don't do them or try to get out of it run away from the place and don't look back LOL. Don't ever let them get away with a "toe-n-go" either. As for "in spec", tell them you want it direct at the spec not just inside the +/- tolerance of the specs which are HUGE. Even though you hardly ever here shops tell you there are ideal spec numbers for alignments. They should be set to this first or as close as possible given wear. If they are more than a small amount off and its performing poorly replace the worn parts and while in there maybe install moogs shim kits which will allow fine tuning. Always make sure they properly align the streering whell as well.

If you want to rule out the tires find a big parking lot as they are not crowned and see how it tracks.

#8 ·
:whs: post up what your specs are after you get em too id like to see what they say is "within spec" every truck is different too i just had a peterbilt (i know a lil diff then pickups but ive done alignments on almost anything with wheels) and idel spec for optimum tire wear is +1/4 on left side and -1/8 on right side and i had to set this guys to +1/2 and -3/8 on right to get rid of his tire wear! he was pissed but sometimes you have to keep adjusting to fix the problem and if they try and tell you its going to cost extra to adjust your wheel leave and do it yourself its two bolts and adjusting the adjuster, you can do it in your driveway in like 6 mins.

#9 ·
Look for facilities with the latest alignment equipment. There are some extraordinary systems out there. When I had my last IFS GMC, my dealer had a unit that walked the tech through the steps needed, and when they were done, they didn't,t even drive the truck. They just said you are done. I asked "what, no test drive?" and they said "you drive it". Two different trucks, and four different alignments, perfect every time.

#13 ·
The issue is those are the places that many times have techs working that do not know anything at all other than what the screen says. That's when you get the its in spec crap. A compute is only as good as the numbers feed it to compare off of. The Ford spec tolerances are HUGE. When you go to guys that have far more hands on experience dealing with custom stuff where they actually have to adjust to get the alignment from scratch these are the guys that can get a problem vehicle driving straight etc. Not to mention I do not care how great of how much a setup costs you shoudl always test drive any vehicle. That is just a law suite waiting to happen and any place that does it deserves it when it happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.