• Refinish with other graphic, suggest

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

Interior decorating... ditching the wood grain

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jdc753 
#1 ·
... I Think

So I don't really hate the wood grain, but don't love it either. I am open to keeping it, but only if I can't find a better alternative. The alternative has to work for the entire truck though since I don't like just doing one random piece, and it has to go with the rest of the interior or the exterior of the truck. I like vehicles where the exterior continues onto the inside as 1 overall theme.

I plan on reshaping/refinishing parts of the dash to make things a bit cleaner looking, plus kinda hoping to make it stand out better and be more custom. Not going crazy though, things need to stay at least a bit classy and not be wild n crazy show car like, but something clearly a 1-off.

So here is what I have to work with as the dash sits now...

Biggest thing is I want to get the DVD drive below the screen flushed in so all it will be is a slot, the eject button (not 100% needed) and the LED (not 100% needed) and have that black area below the screen the same finish as the rest of the dash. I am toying with the idea of smoothing/refinishing in the 4x4 switch panel, and my power/rest button + USB hub panel also. I am also willing to maybe relocate the power/USB panel to somewhere else and put the 12v plug back there or something else maybe.

I would love to swap out to an all black leather interior like a harley edition, but for now the gray interior is going to have to stay. The outside of my truck is maroon and silver, so I think either variant would work good on the inside of the truck. The silver wouldn't go quite as good with the gray interior but a finish something like this,

Now the other option would be a bit pricier as I couldn't do it myself but I think would be pretty cool, getting the panels finished with a hydrographic process. I like the idea of having some sort of a pattern/contrast to the surface instead of just a simple matte finish color. I could redo all the wood grain on just this one panel and be done with it, or go with something totally different throughout the truck.

I think Pahrump does some of this work, but I am not sure. Here is one bezel that was built and then refinished...

Rough construction part...

and final product after construction and then water transfer wood grain graphic to match the factory dash...

now the possibilities could be endless with the hydrographics. Just thinking something like a maroon colored carbon fiber, or scale, or some pattern could be cool

So thats my long post of whats on my mind lately. Let me know what you think... :ford:

See less See more
#4 ·
I hate my wood grain as well, just not sure exactly what I want to refinish it with either....carbon fibre is cool, but too ricer IMO, some sort of graphic or paint

#6 ·
thanks for the votes guys, keep em coming :D

...carbon fibre is cool, but too ricer IMO, some sort of graphic or paint
I agree with ya Bren. If I do some carbon fiber look I will have to mix it up a little bit I think. Either like a maroon or deep red style or a slightly modified pattern.

another one that has crossed my mind was a brushed aluminum look, going horizontal, would work much better on a dark (black) interior vs my gray though...

I'm not a big fan of my maroon exterior, but I don't got the cash to change it and not going to fight it on the inside, plus I'm thinking a dark/deep red wouldn't be too bad inside the truck with a carbon fiber like pattern to it.

#8 ·
with the hydrographics stuff you can get just about anything you want put onto nearly any surface...

I think it would look pretty sweet in your truck too :ford:

#9 ·
check out 3m di-noc been doing some research easy to install and looks real. Also watch some youtube videos

#11 ·
Josh that carbon fiber would look bad a$$ :evil .....You definitely have one of the sweetest interiors on here....but how much would that roughly run you to do it???

#14 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, I think its made up my mind on which way to go, just gotta get started and see how much its going to cost.

Thanks Ben, I'll have to see how much its going to cost, I'm thinking it could easily be out of my price range lol but I'll have to wait and see.

Do the hydrographic in what ever you think looks best with your interior. TEH only time I think the sim wood grain is appropriate is if you have tan/brown leather going. A good custom job like that goes well with wood grain otherwise IMO wood grain ends up looking a bit tacky to me. I take it you will be staying with the custom touch screen etc setup. I think the woodgrain takes away from it right now.
Yea I'll be staying with the touch screen, I don't think I could go back to a regular double din now and definitely couldn't go back to stock (I think in my 10 years of driving I have had a stock radio for maybe 1 year between 3 vehicles)

Just trying to tie everything together in one single theme where it all compliments each other, which I think is what you were basically saying.

#12 ·
Do the hydrographic in what ever you think looks best with your interior. TEH only time I think the sim wood grain is appropriate is if you have tan/brown leather going. A good custom job like that goes well with wood grain otherwise IMO wood grain ends up looking a bit tacky to me. I take it you will be staying with the custom touch screen etc setup. I think the woodgrain takes away from it right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.