Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

any runners ?

2K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  apollyon9515 
#1 ·
I recent took up running, and quit smoking so I can breathe now but my legs hurt so I don't know how good of a trade it was. LOL
Just kidding...I feel better already and I'm running what I think is a decent distance for a beginner...roughly 3 miles with the occasional 4 mile day thrown in. That's daily.
What kind of times or distances are y'all running ? Daily or every other day ?
Just wondering where I fit in and where I need to be headed.
Doing it mainly to lose a few lbs and get my old ass in shape.

#3 ·
That's much faster than me but I'm just trying to build some lungs up right now. I'm a little over 30 for 3 miles...not trying to speed up at the moment...just trying to make it through. LOL

#5 ·
I run club cross country here at Penn State, at the moment I'm running about 55-60 miles a week. I'm training for a half-marathon in December as well.

#6 ·
I run 3 miles 3-4 times a week Rich. I then lift 2 days a week. I started about 9 years ago actually. I am 6-3 and had gotten up to 280lbs. I could only run about 1/2 mile when I started, I think I was around 21-22. I got down to about 215, and have just continued running about 3-4 miles and now I am around 235 but feel good.

If your knees or legs are hurting, its your shoes. I get a new pair every 6 months, and you have go get good ones, especially for big guys like us. I only wear them for running also until I get another pair.

I do my 3 to 3.25 mile run in about 23-24 minutes. Some days I get back and am hardly even winded and somedays about halfway through I feel like I'm gonna die.

#7 ·
I run 3 miles 3-4 times a week Rich. I then lift 2 days a week. I started about 9 years ago actually. I am 6-3 and had gotten up to 280lbs. I could only run about 1/2 mile when I started, I think I was around 21-22. I got down to about 215, and have just continued running about 3-4 miles and now I am around 235 but feel good.

If your knees or legs are hurting, its your shoes. I get a new pair every 6 months, and you have go get good ones, especially for big guys like us. I only wear them for running also until I get another pair.

I do my 3 to 3.25 mile run in about 23-24 minutes. Some days I get back and am hardly even winded and somedays about halfway through I feel like I'm gonna die.
:whs:

#9 ·
Congrats on the running!

I run about 3 to 4 days a week, anywhere from 2 to 3 miles a day. Nothing Major. Just enough to stay in shape. Im a blistering 170 lbs :eek: so I dont really need to loose weight.

As said before, its your shoes making your legs hurt. Go to a place that specializes in running shoes. They will help you pick a pair that is right for you.

On The Run is where I got mine. Under $100 for good running shoes too.....

#10 ·
I usually run 3-4 and no more than 5 miles three times a week. I usually lift on non-running days on top of biking to work everyday. Along with good shoes, stretch. Stretch before and after running. I have also found that stretching before bed helps alot as well.

#11 ·
I was kidding about the legs hurting...except right at first but that passed pretty quick. I also stretch for 5 minutes before and after a run.
I really am liking it...didn't really think I would.

#13 ·
Stick with the running and you'll enjoy the second half of your life so much more. If you stay at those distances shoes may never be much of a problem, I doubt you'll stay at those distances. You can have your stride analyzed and get running shoes that are right for you now or you can do it after you get injured. Slow, sometimes rediculously slow running, burns more fat, faster running, intervals and hill repeats burn very little but are good to build muscle mitochondria and workout the cardiovascular system. I'll do a couple of marathons this winter and at least one long course triathlon per year, typically 100-150 miles bike, 25-30 running and swim 3 days per week.

edited to add; don't stretch cold muscles, better to warm up first or just stretch afterwards.

#14 ·
A few years back I was having trouble with my Knees and hips hurting while running. Went to the orthopedic Dr. Dr Harold "Hackie" Reitman. He gave me this insight. "I see a lot of young runners with old knees and a lot of old Triathletes with young knees". His point was to mix it up. So now I bike a lot and swim as much as I can. I'm not running because I need surgery on my right ankle.

Anyhow I followed his advice and most of my problems went away. Just my personal experience.

#15 ·
3-4 miles? That's it? Figured you could cover WAY more ground than that in 30 min. Hell, us regular folks get 2-3 strides to your 1. :hehe::hehe::hehe: :poke: J/K man. Hope you kick the smokes for good. I couldn't run to the mailbox and back, much less 3 miles.

#16 ·
damn, i did a mile this morning and i'll do another tonight, 3-4 a day im not sure if i could jump right into. doing it every day now with my puppy to keep both of us in shape

#17 ·
Dang, dude! You're at 3 - 4 miles already? I'm truly envious. I absolutely HATE running. Used to run 3 miles at the beginning of wrestling practice everyday. I probably couldn't run now anyway though with my crappy old knees. :doh: I do really like a good rowing machine though. I need to get me another one.

#18 ·
Don't push it to fast. The rule of thumb is 10% increase per month. I went from no running to six to seven miles a day six days a week and screwed up some stuff pusshing through the pain. That was six months ago now i have trouble walking sometimes. I am the same age as u, one thing
my doctor told me to watch for was joint health as well.

#19 ·
I've been doing 25-30 miles/week for the last 2.5 months...

my knees (and hip) were KILLING me after the first 2 weeks...got some tips on running (try to keep my head from moving up & down with each stride)...and the pain went away nearly instantly...

I mix up the running with time on the elliptical machine.

so if your hurting...check your form (& shoes)...

#20 ·
been running all my life it seems...started when i was a teenager and loved it until i joined the military and was forced to do it. after 5 years of running in cadence with 100 other yahoos i wanted nothing to do with it. didnt touch a pair of sneakers until i got on a scale a few years back and the realization that i had gained 30 pounds set in :eek:

had to go out and buy a new pair (didnt even OWN any at the time) and havent looked back since. i ran about 30 miles a week until the 30 pounds disappeared and now do it very randomly in distance as well as frequency...mostly because of my schedule. one day i will be in northern minnesota and squeeze in 6 miles after dinner, and not get another chance until after a few days on an overnight in montana, and manage to get a 9 miler in before breakfast :D

i have gotten to run a handful of 5-10k's and always placed in the top 3 for my age group, but my schedule is such that its a pain in the @$$ to commit to race schedules, and they can be kinda pricey if you ask me. so, my wife stumbled into FitLink - The Premier Online Fitness Community and its an awesome tool to track what you do, as well as where you do it.

...as for the stretching controversy, i have never (excpet in the military) stretched before or after, its all personal preference if you ask me LOL

#22 ·
If you'd like to spice up your running program with fun, good company, new surroundings, and physical challenge, try Hashing. Just remember one thing . . . NEVER wear new shoes to the hash! You may ask, but what is Hashing? Hashing is a Drinking club for people with a Running problem or a Running club for people with a Drinking problem.

http://www.onin.com/hhh/hhhexpl.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

If interested do a search for Hash Clubs local to you. I have six Hash clubs within an hours travel. And probably another six to ten Hash clubs within 2-3 hours travel. We attend weekend events out of town events and there are even out of the country events. Its a lot of fun to meet new people do some running, walking, drinking, partying, fornicating.
Its not for everyone but you will never know if you don't give it a try.

#23 ·
did you use chantix to quit smoking? crazy dreams?
congrats on quitting & feeling better,i gotta quit soon:doh:

#24 ·
I used chantix to quit 2 times. You still have to want to do it though.

I quit fathers day in 2009 and I miss the hell out of it. I don't miss spending the money and stinking though. As far as running I can't, the good news is that walking at a good pace is just as good for your heart and even better for your joints. Now I just need a pill to make me get off my arse to go walking.

Congrats on the quitting smoking.

#25 ·
Congrats on quitting smoking. Just that alone will make you feel better. I do not smoke but have seen many try to quit. You will probably start smelling better too. Not that you stink(which most smokers do but can't tell)but your nose will work better.

#26 ·
I started seriously running 6 years ago and have run 4 full marathons and at least 4 half marathons and various other 5k's and such. This last year I quit running for various reasons and have gained about 20 lbs. I'm trying to get back to it now and it SUCKS!
My advice is good shoes and listen to your body. Pain is there for a reason, listen to it. Have fun though.

#28 ·
I knew(they quit) alot of runners that did several 5-10 mile runs and ran marathons that ranged from 20 to 50 and almost all of them have knee/ankle problems now. Most of them quit because of all the serious problems they had. I despise running and dont do it unless someones chasing me hah. Stair stepper, swimming, walking is the only thing i do for cardio if that.

If you want to get in shape 90% of it is diet, it is important to be in good cardiovascular shape dont get me wrong. just becareful running thier are alot of downsides to running vs walking or some kind of machine like a stepper or elliptical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.