Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dyno Data/Video - Head Porting Graphs Inside -Thanks Empire Diesel

6K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  JD Dearden 
#1 ·
Chad, Buddy, Wally and the whole crew - Thanks for the great job on the Red Headed Step Child.

I hope the tranny will hold in OD this Saturday to run the same tunes that I did before on this dyno. Wanted to see if we have any increases without changes to the fuel tables. Scheduled to have the trans pulled apart on the 20th at BTS so no tuning until then but I thought I would post a graph of the flow changes from stock to Stage 3.

Enjoy!

:rockwoot:

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Thanks Empire Diesel - Head Porting Graphs inside!

Nice 35 to 40 percent increase across the board.

Should be very interesting if you are doing a faithful before and after with no other changes.

#7 ·

Nice 35 to 40 percent increase across the board.

Should be very interesting if you are doing a faithful before and after with no other changes.
The nitrous run will be the same but not sure if I can get the power to the rollers. Different bowl work and valve clearance on the new pistons with .020 over. A different Cam from Matt (stage II) as well. This is the flow package I'm comparing and everything else is the same but less than 50 miles on the motor compared to 5000 miles on the previous dyno run. I did not run a fuel only before (other than my emissions tune) so I don't have any numbers to compare.

#9 ·

What kind of srings did you switch too, saw the hypermax's were gone?

#11 ·
Re: Head Porting Graphs Inside - Thanks Empire Diesel

Glad to see you back posting cool stuff again Mike.

#13 ·

dang cell phone web typing ..sorry
glad you figured out what a sring was...(spring)

#14 ·

It looks like you could benefit from a better ratio rocker arm if your springs can handle the extra lift. Carson has some rockers out that have a 1.7 ratio and are more durable than the stockers. Actually, a 1.8 would be even better.

#19 ·

Mike when you made your thousand plus horsepower runs, was the porting and cam stock or a *** setup or something differant? Awesome truck and killer work you are doing. Good luck with it!!!
Stock OEM cam and ports were not touched as far as I know.

#21 ·

very nice flow increase.
but we gotta work on your (or empire's) graph fitment.
R^2 under .95 is just lazy :hehe:

#22 ·

very nice flow increase.
but we gotta work on your (or empire's) graph fitment.
R^2 under .95 is just lazy :hehe:
If you would like a logarithmic trend instead of an exponential representation of fitment, see below.

This data is irrelevant. :poke:

#26 ·

Seriously Mike you deserve a serious 'atta boy' for continueing to push the 7.3 envelope all while using hard emperical evidence to back up your changes.

I'm glad you started (and ended) over here in our little 7.3 camp.

I hope that some day you create a large post detailing the perfect (at that moment) 7.3 build for others to learn from. I doubt that there will be many that (even w/o all of the expense of testing) will throw down the $30K to copy your engine set up.

Awesome work you are doing there man. Thanks!

#27 · (Edited)

Dyno results:
  • 1st pass I ran my fuel program that net'd me an 11.56ET, Results - 690 hp / 1160 tq, The PSN calculator says I should be at 700 hp to make that ET.
  • 2nd pass I ran my Nitrous program that net'd me 999.55 hp / 1763 tq.
So whats the advantage of EDP porting and a Gearhead cam?
Nitrous: (***Ran the same Fuel program, forgot to switch the over :doh:)
900 hp starts at 2750 OEM / 2825 Cam
900 hp ends at 3125 OEM / 3225 Cam
375 band with OEM / 400 band width Cam

800 hp starts at 2690 OEM / 2650 Cam
800 hp ends at 3425 OEM / 3450 Cam
735 band with OEM / 800 band width Cam

Peak HP 2890 rpms OEM / 2990 rpms Cam Moved rpms up 100.

Now this is where it pays off since nitrous is just forcing air and a fuel only run shows how the porting and cam really effect the power band and placment.

Fuel Only: Edited...Looked at incorrect dyno sheet.

500 hp starts at 2650 OEM / 2725 Cam
500 hp ends at 3175 OEM / 3450 Cam
525 band with OEM / 725 band width Cam

Peak HP 2825 rpms OEM / 3150 rpms Cam Moved rpms up 325.

So my goal was to remove stress on the bottom end by moving the curve further up the rpm range and maintain or increase the hp. Since this exercise was to compare just a porting / cam change the results are close to the 400 rpm move that I asked Buddy/Chad and Matt to accomplish. Tuning should show increases in the width of the power band which will keep the stress off the drive line. More to come!

:ford:

#29 ·
Re: Head Porting Graphs Inside -Dyno #'s now! Thanks Empire Diesel

3450rpm, nice

#35 ·
:rockwoot:

#39 ·
The smoke cleaned up fairly well on NOS though. Think he mentioned something about havin room for a little more FUEL.
There I fixed for you:poke:

I think he is cleaning up all the fuel that is burnable in the mechanical crank-degree window for doing it. I guess we can call the 400% nozzle "good for 1000HP" at whatever ICP Mike is getting them to hold. Just imagine if these suckers could hold 4000 PSI......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.