Smelling raw fuel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM
shock
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Smelling raw fuel

I can smell raw fuel at start up is burns your eyes. The truck starts good only turns over 2 maybe 3 times. and just a very little smoke you c an barely see it? Glow plugs? should i try pluging in the truck to see if that goes away?
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
SeeYa
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Re: Smelling raw fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
I can smell raw fuel at start up is burns your eyes. The truck starts good only turns over 2 maybe 3 times. and just a very little smoke you c an barely see it? Glow plugs? should i try pluging in the truck to see if that goes away?

First thing to do is scan for codes with a code reader. Do you have one?

My first thought though is to have you check under the valve covers to see if the uvch has come unplugged, loose or wires frayed, etc. This would surely cause what your describing.

Diane
Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
shock
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

no i do not have a code scanner. You need a diesel one correct? it kinda goes away after it is warm for the most part.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
SeeYa
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
no i do not have a code scanner. You need a diesel one correct? it kinda goes away after it is warm for the most part.
Yes, it will need to be a scanner that will read diesel codes. My thought was only something to check. It could be anythng. UVCH plug issue, Injector needle and seat not sealing off and dribbling, Glow plugs not cycling properly to name a few. Checking for codes will help with diagnosing.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM
golfer
fueled by Colecovision
Member's Gallery

If you don't have any check engine/service engine lights on...then it isn't going to be wiring.

The PCM does not monitor cylinder (or injector) "balance"...but it sure as hell monitors electrical continuity (between the PCM, IDM, & injectors).

the white smoke is surely going to be a mechanical problem...

either high mileage injectors (>180k), low engine compression...bad fuel, no fuel pressure...or leaking injector nozzles.

click to send email
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 PM
shock
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

There is no real white smoke you have to like you would think you have to really really look. No check engine lights. I am lost on this it runs real good no shake or anything it got good fuel ecomony from iowa were i bought it avg 17 to 19 about
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
stroked
Well Hung Member
Member's Gallery

seems like these answers are the worst case scenarios, check the back of your fuel bowl, towards the bottom, theres or rings there that are notorious for leaking, and the smell will seem like it goes away, but itll gradually get worse. check the easy stuff first,

2005 6.0 Studded, Deleted, 58v Swamps/PHP tuned Ficm, SOLD
99.5 hybrids, termy modded 17*, GT4294 TOTALED
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Stroken7.3
< wish it was mine
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked View Post
seems like these answers are the worst case scenarios, check the back of your fuel bowl, towards the bottom, theres or rings there that are notorious for leaking, and the smell will seem like it goes away, but itll gradually get worse. check the easy stuff first,
Thats what I was thinking. You should be more specific, is it a raw fuel smell from the front of the truck and in the cab? or were you smelling it from the exhaust?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 AM
shock
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Very sorry rear of the truck the rear only. i pull the hog in the garage and then in the am i smell raw fuel like a leak no spots on the floor though. or wet spots? fuel bowl drain o rings?

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 87
'99 stroker, 01platinum, 02BigD, 02pstroke, 03_PSD, 20007.3stroker, 4diggn, 7.3FisherFord, 96 stroker, 99F250Smitty, ADubDiesel, Al Mighty, apollyon9515, Arisley, bcangelo, bigdawg69, bigern515, big_stroker, Bill R, bill4d, birdog, bmxrdneck, Bushwakd, Capricious, Ccuddey, Chrisp, cj45lc, cjrichtig, copperhead99, Cundiff, Dave, dgsdavis1, Dieselpower25, Dog86, Driles85, Elgin MGP, factorydefect, fender57, FReEK, golfer, gottagofast, hambony1, hdchopfather, Highbeam, iamnonstop, JAKE, jlwalker9, joediesle, ju015dd, kainers, Kyle_KleinSS, lincolnlocker, meflamout, mjp, mnstroker, NE-STROKE, P-nut, patrickke, Phiber Optik, Power97Stroke, powerstrokin44, purple_heart_350, rich in mich, Rmartin-97, rpenner54, SeeYa, Shaw, shock, sick97psd1, siderbox, Skintback, slowduty80, southtxcoalburner, sschwindt, steinerr, stroked, stroked99_1/2, Stroken7.3, Strokin4life, Super_Hauler, tbirdscott, Tipher, wabosmoose, wooner, xstrokinx