Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need some help!!!!!

807 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  04yfzkid 
#1 ·
How hot is to hot???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just installed the Eaton TrueTrac today, not to bad considering it was done on jack stands in the driveway!!!! took about 5 hours, seems to work great!!! Took it for a test drive, 55-60 for about 5 miles...stopped to feel cover, seemed hot, to hot to hold your hand on it!!!!! Don't have any noise. never felt it before the install, so maybe it's normal....checked backlash before and after, used same shims....had .0125 on old one......010 on new....sound right? put 3.5 quarts 75-140 dino oil in it, as they don't recommend syn with this LS , anyways, thanks for any help....rsbhunter moved this from the tech 7.3 forum, hoping somebody here can give some advice

#2 ·
You NEED to use syn oil. It will help with cooling and friction. You could always do a 08 cover to help with cooling when you pull that one off to drain that fluid. I like my truetracs and havent had any issues using syn oil front and rear with them.

#3 ·
Run Synthetic. Even with a properly adjusted gearset, you still have a lot of heat generated from a 10" part moving a 7500 pound truck. Also, there might be some wearing in even with using the same gears.

#4 ·
Ive never pointed a temp gun at mine, but the center section will be to hot to hold your hand on it and not get burnt.

#5 ·
THANKS for the replys!!!!!!!!!!! I use syn in all my stuff, in fact, drained Red Line 75-140 when i put this unit in, but being as i wanted to follow instructions (for once) they said to use dino....but if the synthetic will work, i'll drain this out and go back with syn......what brand is best...i read that red line is really good???? Thanks again, i will sleep alot better knowing i won't screw up a $600.00 unit rsbhunter

#6 ·
That is normal. As said there is likely some mating going on new but still rear ends get hot. You should see the temps when its doing heavy towing in the mountains. Another reason for the cooling larger cap covers and syn gear lub.

#7 ·
The tur trac is a gear driven L/S so there is no clutches correct? If so then use synthetic for sure. I don't know about superduty rearends, but 3.5 quarts sounds really low. I put over a gallon mayble around 2 in my 9" on my ranger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.