Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

rear diff info

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  madpogue 
#1 ·
I was wondering what axle i have in my 1995 f350. the axle code is 39 and I can see .55 on the diff tag. I thought it was a Dana 80 but i think I am wrong. I guess it is a ford rear end and can any one tell me what fluid I need to use and is this a good rear end or should i worry because it has 218,000 miles. Thanks for the help

#3 ·
I think any 75w140 gear oil will be fine in your rear end. And the .55 you are seeing MAY be used to be 3.55. That's just a guess though.

#4 ·
The 3.55's were common in the OBS. Might want to check the manual or with someone that knows if it requires syn or not. Also if it's a LS you will want to add the friction modifier.

#5 ·
Should be an open 3.55 Sterling. Unless Ford changed things since I last checked, a fully numerical axle code is always open, and an alpha numeric code is a limited slip.

#6 ·
I had a large load of shingles on it today and I wish it was geared lower and it is a flat bed so I want dual rear wheels but I am not sure how hard it would be to do. It is 2 wheel drive so I dont think it would be hard. I had 26 squares of shingles in the bed and it carries it good but it seems to be geared high.

#8 ·
Yes you would. Should be an easy swap and you'll love the 4.10's for hauling. There is a guy on another thread on psn that's looking for someone to trade. He has a dually and wants a single wheel. Look for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.