Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Recommendations ~ Front end parts – Brands?

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Looks like it’s time to change out the Ball joints...(see thread link below). I think I'm going to end up doing the whole front end..
Any recommendations are front end parts - brands.... TRW, Moog, etc...?
I think I heard good things about Moog.
Might as well do the u joints while I'm in there - I heard spincer u joints are good...
Any tips - tricks - suggestions are always welcome. Since I get all my improvement info from you guys :bowfast: Thanx in advance and for all the past help/ info

From What could this noise be ? –Steering thread
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71316

Steering noise | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9617164@N07/70P5m7

-MyTmouse :cool:

See less See more
#3 ·
another vote for moog/spicer

#5 ·
Moog is good for sure. Make sure to get a good 4 wheel alignment as well if its been a long time and maybe pick up some of the Moog shim kits so they can do it right. They should be able to hit the specs dead on not that "in spec" range that is ridiculously large. Might be a good time to check all the drive shaft's -joints as well as the steering box and steering shaft for play. All of it goes a long way to a smooth running front end once everything is tight and helps everything last longer.

#7 ·
Yup these are the ones. May be Gold. Who knows..

Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints
Axle Assemblies
Parts and Components
Accessories
Flash Tech Help

New in 2007

NEW Pro 60 Stub-Hub Kit
...Now Available!
NEW Ford '05 - '07 Free-Spin Kit
...Now Available!

NEW for 2009!! ProSteer Ball Joints
Strength & Durability for Ford, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles
Dynatrac knows how to reduce the cost of operating your truck while making it more reliable. Both are important considerations during these difficult times when you need to get the absolute most out of such an important investment. Dynatrac has products that are ready now to save you money, aggravation, and downtime. Check out the now legendary Dynatrac Free-Spin HDHC (heavy-duty hub conversion) kits, DynaLoc locking hub kits, and now we are introducing the new Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joint.

click images for enlarged view

Since 1992, many heavy duty, 4x4 pickups and SUV’s have front axles such as those from AAM, and the Dana 50 or 60. These axles have steering knuckles equipped with ball joints.
This design has replaced the older, king-pin style knuckles. The ball joint knuckle has fixed some nagging problems that were typical in the old king-pin axle assemblies such as wheel shimmy, wandering, and certain wear problems. In addition the ball joint style axle costs less to manufacture and assemble at the factory. However, many truck owners still believe the old king-pin set-up was better. Well finally you can have the best of both worlds. Announcing the new Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joint.

The Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints provide higher strength, longer life and once installed can be rebuilt without special tools. This improves servicing the ball joints more easily in the field or at home. Rebuilding the ProSteer Ball Joint at home or at your local shop will cost less than having new OEM ball joints installed at an alignment shop or the dealer.
Benefits
Reduce the cost of operating your truck.
Big increase in strength from the OEM ball joints.
Rebuildable without special tools – Lower repair costs.
Long Life – Less downtime, less tire wear.
Improves performance, handling and driver’s feel of the road.
Features
High strength billet steel and heat treated bodies.
Super strong cromoly steel, heat-treated stems.
Effective seals prevent contamination and promote long ball joint life.
Fully greaseable on the truck.
Heat treated, precision ground stainless steel ball conforms to Military specifications.
Teflon coated internal wear points.
Fully-adjustable cup support protects against severe road impacts.
A word about non-factory, aftermarket Dana 60 ball joint knuckles – Each Dynatrac ProSteer ball joint is designed for a specific vehicle application. Some aftermarket companies, including Dynatrac, have designed knuckles that use the 92-97 Ford Ball joint fitment specification. However, is up to each individual aftermarket manufacturer to verify the compatibility of their products with the Ford specification, and to control the quality and consistency of their products.

Dynatrac guarantees the correct fitment of ProSteer ball joints on approved applications for axles and knuckles manufactured by Ford, Dodge, Jeep, Dana, AAM and Dynatrac.

Dynatrac cannot guarantee the ProSteer ball joints will correctly fit and operate safely in aftermarket or look alike axles with knuckles manufactured, reverse engineered or imported by third party companies which do not meet OEM standards.

Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints
Includes 2 uppers, 2 lowers, and installation instructions.

Description Part Number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'92-'10 Ford F-250/350/450/550 4x4 (Please call for exact '92-'98 Applications)
94'-'99 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4
'99 to Present Dynatrac Pro Series 60 Knuckles
DA60-2X3050-A
$599.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'03-'10 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 CR92-2X3050-A
$599.00

'07-'10 Jeep Wrangler JP44-2X3050-A
$599.00

-------------------------------------
Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joint Installation Tool Kit
The Dynatrac ball joint installation kit will prevent damage to the ball joints during installation.

Description Part Number

'92-'10 Ford F-250/350/450/550 4x4 (Please call for exact '92-'98 Applications)
94'-'99 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4
'99 to Present Dynatrac Pro Series 60 Knuckles
DA60-1X3050-C
$10.00

'03-'10 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 4x4 CR92-1X3050-B
$10.00

'07-'10 Jeep Wrangler JP44-1X3050-B
$10.00

#9 ·
Tank's 250 installed those Dynatrac ball joints a few months ago. They are much beefier than the stock ball joints and the great part is they can be rebuilt in the field. Maybe he can comment but the way I read it makes me believe you can then rebuild them without having to go thru the trouble of breaking down the hub etc.. Could be wrong maybe someone that knows definitively can comment..

I am going to be running 40s and when the ball joints go which I am sure will be with in a year as they are not exactly new, these are whats going in. Tank commented that they hang a bit lower but the extra strength will be worth it. I would say these are the best of the best as far as our trucks go.

#10 ·
I have been told the SKF Wheel bearings are the best to go with as well. I just replaced my driverside with one so we will see how it goes. This is the second time I have replaced the driverside since the truck was new and Im @ 105,xxx now.:doh:

#11 ·
rebuilding without pulling the hub would be an interesting trick...

best tip i can give you is price a local machine shop...seriously
I had mine apart in a jiffy...and he charged me like 15 bucks to press them out and put the new ones in.
course that is skipping some parts....like do not attempt without air tools
on the other hand the diy seal installer plans tool i found on the net worked like a champ.

#15 ·
rebuilding without pulling the hub would be an interesting trick...

best tip i can give you is price a local machine shop...seriously
I had mine apart in a jiffy...and he charged me like 15 bucks to press them out and put the new ones in.
course that is skipping some parts....like do not attempt without air tools
on the other hand the diy seal installer plans tool i found on the net worked like a champ.
my local ford dealer will loan me the seal driver your talkin bout....

#17 ·
Spicer also makes ball joints, I prefer these over the Moog-have had problems with the Moog not wanting to return to center

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.