Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Stage 1 Intake Manifold w/ EGR delete from GoGo

19K views 73 replies 26 participants last post by  PSDPlayer 
#1 ·
After doing a ton of reading, I finally ordered my first performance part for the new truck. My plan is to make the truck solid before I start throwing more ponies at it. Thanks to Doug for being patient with my questions....

Got a Stage 1 Intake Manifold w/ EGR delete on the way!

Who is running this setup? Any tips to help with ease of install?

PS Got a coolant filter on the way as well...

See less See more
#4 ·
6.0s aren't that bad to work on once you get the cab off :pointlaugh: !

Seroiusly its not bad Gare . Pay attention to were everything goes mark them if need be ,take pictures ,etc ,clean things real good before going back together take your time.

#10 ·
#46 ·
You guy's are hilarious...:D Zing!

That picture is of the old stage 1 intake.

Doug has changed the design a bit now...

...maybe he could post up some pictures of the design.
Arts and Crafts time... Lots of printing. Cut it out. Test the fit. Move the bolt holes. See where it all lines up.

Cut one out. Test some fitment. All manifolds are going to the shorter bolts that are sunk into the floor. They are to be loctited in. There is probably a better chance at winning the lottery than the bolts backing out and falling down a runner.

Replotted to fit the inside edge of the manifold. The original wider lid allowed us to weld from under it to minimize the visual welding. New version welds to the side of it. This was done in order to fit giant race cover turbos in the valley of compound setups.

The new lid on top of the old lid. The o-ring groove is wider. It was not changed to allow for better sealing. It was changed to allow us to use a bigger endmill and run around it faster. Cutting speed was raised from 7 inches per minute to 21 inches per minute. So it goes 3 times as fast and cuts down on broken tools.

Welded on the side. It's a little over 6 linear feet of welding. Need to get a water cooled torch.

#27 ·
Are you planning any before and after dyno pulls? I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how a relativly stock truck responds to this intake. That's been my plan, but I still haven't got it on the dyno yet for a before pull. I figured I had plenty of time but it sounds like he's pretty close to shipping these.:redspotdance:

#28 ·
Are you planning any before and after dyno pulls? I think it'd be pretty interesting to see how a relativly stock truck responds to this intake. That's been my plan, but I still haven't got it on the dyno yet for a before pull. I figured I had plenty of time but it sounds like he's pretty close to shipping these.:redspotdance:
Right on!....:D

#37 ·
Didnt you say you were gonna leave it stock?LOL

It's ok i didnt believe you anyway. LOL

#47 ·
Looks nice but why machine the top piece then weld it on? How flat does it stay during welding?

Its funny how uping the size of tooling can change the IPM that much.

I fired a guy yesterday that was running a .500 3 flute end mill at 20 IPM in alum. It took him 45 min to cut a part out. I reprogrammed it for him before I fired him and it took me 5.65 mins. I fired him after I taught him the lesson. I was sick of his I don’t need to run it any faster atituide.

At any rate looks really nice. Did you use a CMM to measure the manifold or the old caliber and Soild Works to get all the dimensions?

Mike

#50 ·
I have a plate that bolts through the intake holes that holds the flange to the intake during welding. Haven't had any warping issues. The welder keeps the heat reasonable, and takes breaks to let the torch cool down.

Bolted the manifold in the cnc and took the coordinates from the machine back into Mastercam. Moved all of the geometries around. Regenerated the tool paths. Shell milled the jig flat and started over again. 10,000rpm helps alot. But it needs an extra long reach ($$$$) end mill to do the floors and port tapers because of the alternator bracket gets really close. You didn't give him a chip load calculator based on the numer of flutes? I have had a huge education on part design from the machinability stand point.

#63 ·
No
It better drive Jonny!
Yes
LOL

I know I've said it for weeks now. But at the latest, BB will have a debut at Eric's dyno event on the 2nd.
It'll be going back together starting Monday. Hopefully no more hold ups

#70 ·
LOL
that's awesome... and at the center of it all is the Rising Sun Fire Dept. lol

I knew you were kidding earlier bud, but... i'm not! I want 1000 haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.