Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

WTF... Towing jerking!?!

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  6L strokin 
#1 ·
Ok towing about 14,500 lbs.. Pulls great truck has plenty power but when I hit a friggin bump with my foot on the skinny pedal just trying to hold speed the truck starts jerking like crazy back n forth till let off throttle!! WTF is is doing that for??? Fix? Only time does it towing more than prolly 8k or so.. Driving me insane!

#3 ·
Mods in sig... 5"straight pipe Eric tuning (does it on every tune.. Haven't used tow yet goin to try it next but I always towed with 6.0 on xstreet... Really tow too short advance to have change files every time..) s&b intake only mods..

#8 ·
Yes, it is axle wrap.

you towed 14,500 lbs. with a 6.0 on XStreet? Not up any hills...

#5 ·
Which tranny tune you using? Mine acted same way switched to tow and soft shift problem went away. You just have to stay in the throttle if you run the bigger tunes. The bigger tunes wanna run you can't baby them, haha hope your problem gets fixed.

#7 ·
which power tune did you run with stock shifting? i was going to try the tow file with firm stock.. i guess it only does it towing really heavy cause empty it didnt do it at all heading to go pick the load up and didnt do it other day with 8-10K on it but today with 15K did it like crazy...

Its axle wrap, mine did it to until i put traction bars on it.
thats what eric said it might be... so should i just remove the sway bar things on the rear and instal some traction bars...? i tow too dang much to be messin with changing files back and forth...!!

#10 ·
Eh i wouldnt say its all axle wrap I have some stout bars on my truck and ive towed with erics and spartans tunes and on the higher settings my truck will buck like crazy when i got have my gooseneck and puller on the trailer which is around 17k lbs will even do it on occasion with smaller tunes...

#11 ·
What is the TC doing? Mine did it last time I towed around 15,000lbs. It only did it when I was at a very light throttle behind some slower traffic. A little more throttle or a little less and it would go away. I too have heavy traction bars. I reloaded the tune and it went away. I think its the adaptive tranny adjusting to the higher loads after being driven empty for too long.

#12 ·
If you reloaded the tune wouldn't the trans be in the "Learning" mode?

#16 ·
ya thats what i was trying to do, but a lot of hills i would end up hitting a bump and have to let off the throttle and push back into it cause of the dang jerking... sucks cuz the xstreet tows friggin awesome!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.