Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New brakes... again.

594 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mbahr22250 
#1 ·
So I just replaced my left rear caliper, again, 9400 miles after I did it the first time.

With just shy of 61k on the truck I've replaced the left rear caliper (twice), the right rear caliper, rear pads (twice) and tomorrow I'm replacing the left front caliper and front pads.:mad:

Also the caliper I replaced today was a rebuilt Ford original equipment part. The foreign blinged out gold one I got at the same time from CarQuest works great and the new one I got today was also gold so hopefully this is the last time I'll be doing this. Think maybe Ford (or TRW) has a problem with their calipers they're not telling us?

#2 ·
Matt, what exactly is the caliper doing that brings you to replace them? My e99 has the orig ones still on it. 142K on the truck. Might be the prop valve and not the cal. That is strange that you are having that much trouble. Good luck.

#3 ·
Rear:

Well at first the rears would just drag a little making a dusty mess of the rear wheels, then they would drag to the point I couldn't even touch the wheels because they were so hot, then the right rear one hung up so bad I didn't need to touch the brakes to stop, just let of the fuel. Took the wheel off (on the side of the road, two hours from home) pryed the calipers back and was fine for about a week.

After I replaced the rears I didn't have any problems with them up until about a month ago when the left one would start to drag a little, the right one hasn't been a problem since being replaced. Yesterday morning the left one was hanging up and chattering so bad I was wondering if I was going to make it to work. Changed it while at work and it was a much smoother ride home. The rears are under warranty for about a month and a half longer so I figured I'd better do it on someone else's dime.

Front:

The left front one drags enough to make the wheel warm (much warmer then the right) but not hot where I can't touch it. Plus the right pad has about twice as much lining then the left. The right front has never once given me a problem. *knocking on wood*

None of this would happen at the same time. One would be fine one day then hang up the next, then be fine, until eventually it was always hanging. At first it was totally random.

#4 ·
Wow! That's crazy. Do you lube them enough when installing them? Are they hard to pry open? Have you thought about replacing the M/C ? If they are free then it may be the M/C. If they are hard to pry open then you may not be lubing them enough. You May want to flush the system. Being in the midwest you are subjected to a lot of humidity, brake fluid will absorb moisture. Could be rust and crap in the system thats getting into the calipers. The salt in winter is not doing you any favors either. If I lived back there I would remove & lube them every fall & spring. Thats about all I can think of right now. Good luck. I hope you get it figured out. Those rusty bolts are foreign to us desert dwellers.

#5 ·
I was originally thinking parking brake, but after I got the calipers off the rear and the rotors were nice and free I knew that wasn't it. Of course I had to take the rotors off anyway just to take a peek. LOL Once I put everything back together it was fine for a week or so, that's when I started thinking M/C. But then that didn't make any sense since only one would do it at a time.

When I got around to replacing them, all the sliders thats the calipers bolt into were nice and free and still had lube in them so I knew it just had to be the calipers.

When I cracked the line the fluid that came out was kind of grayish colored, so I left the hose off and kept topping off the M/C until I had fresh fluid coming out then put the new calipers on. BTW that takes A LOT longer then I expected. :hehe:

I think it's fixed now. Been two days and haven't had a problem yet. I honestly believe there was a crappy run of calipers and I was fortunate enough to get some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.