Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Weird Problem....

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Fordtech 
#1 ·
Elderly couple, neighbor's have '96 F-350 ,7.3turbo auto/trans. When it is idling and you put in d the converter will lock-up and shut the thing down. Not stall but grunt it to a hault. I had to put 2 feet on brake to keep from moving!! Talk about power braking it! I am car and gas guy but I told them I would try to help. Any Help on tech would be great, they can't afford to take to dealer.
I recieved this email and was wondering if anyone could help me out...

#6 ·
I know when I apply my brakes the TC unlocks when driving down the road. Unless I got the TC locked. Does it lock in reverse or 1st gear with the selector there? With the manual lock switch it will not let it lock in those gears till the selctor goes into 2nd or drive.

#7 ·
From what I understand it is basically that the trans doesn't have enough fluid pressure to keep it from locking. It probably has the same issue when put into reverse. The loss of pressure could be from a weak pump, clogged filter, cracked filter, internal leaks etc.

#9 ·
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54221

Locking in reverse indicates low pressure. It could be the pump, or it could be a leak elsewhere.
Reverse has a higher line pressure schedule than the forward gears. A weak pump or an internal leak always shows up first in reverse because the pump can't keep up with the higher demand. If left to progress it will probably start doing it first gear, too.
Just my first thought when I read you post, but if it doesn't do it in reverse I don't know if it would be the same issue or not.

#11 ·
there is a ground wire in the harness that if it gets grounded will lock the converter and shut it down in gear at idle.wire could be chafed somewhere grounding on frame or body?on super duties anyway,not sure if a 96 has the same comp controls or not. it probably does

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.