Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My roof/cargo rack

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  shock 
#1 ·
I am finally in the finishing stages of this project, I started it almost a year ago and have been plugging along a stage at a time. I still need to buy 2 more lights for the back of the rack, I dropped one and broke the lens :doh: they should be handy for those dark nights backing up the trailer.

I need to still route the wires in the cab and connect everything inside and I am also going to add a light on either side facing down to the doors when they are open.

I am happy to have it done but not 100% on how it looks from the sides, I guess when the rear and side lights are on it might look different?

If I had made it at work I would have done things a little different and would have a better finished product, but I used what I had to make it work.

I used ???? ft of 3/4 tubing (three trips to the metal mart)
an old conduit bender
grinder, welder, tape, square and my mill to cut all the center supports to size and radius with a 3/4 end mill for a parallel fit
mitre saw with a cut-off disk
black RTV
expanded metal
stainless handware
flat bar and some angle iron

Will post up the finished pics, enjoy I know I had fun:D

See less See more
#2 ·
thats really sweet! i wanted something like that for a while.

#6 ·
I looked at so many different ways to mount but there isn't too many options and I will take some pictures this weekend and explain it, thanks.

so why did you need more space than whats in the box? i can see the light bar, but why the carrying space to? you would have to get into the box to unload it and load it. now what ever you put in it is in 100% rain, less you cover it. no protection from cab anymore. not a naysayer, i mean it looks good and apparantly you had a need and fulfilled it. i guess, why over the cab in a permanent setup?
I find your questions just as weird.....Not sure what the difference between the roof and my box does for the rain? I live in one of the rainiest spots around and know all about the rain. I do a lot of riding and camping and would like to think I use my trucks. After 4 full size bikes are in the back along with all the gear, generator and other BS there isn't too much room leftover. Not to mention my stuff gets #### kicked bouncing around on each other for nothing, and now I have the option of throwing some firewood up there along with a jack-all and other crap. I also have stacks that are 80% done that aren't shown and I might put a very small aluminum box around them for my onboard air.

I wasn't too worried about putting a few holes in my roof for my purpose, its a 10+ year old truck and I'm not concerned about selling it later, the rack comes off the mounts with 12 bolts and some wires but its there to stay.

#4 ·
so why did you need more space than whats in the box? i can see the light bar, but why the carrying space to? you would have to get into the box to unload it and load it. now what ever you put in it is in 100% rain, less you cover it. no protection from cab anymore. not a naysayer, i mean it looks good and apparantly you had a need and fulfilled it. i guess, why over the cab in a permanent setup?

#7 ·
I like it. I've just bought the materials to make mine, only difference is I am putting mine over the shell and extending it half way over the cab. Very similar idea about the lights. I think I'm going to add some reverse lights to it as well. I'm just nervous about drilling the shell. Did you just use silicone, seam sealer, or what?

#13 ·
I just used some rubber blind well nuts and some black RTV silicone, the rubber seals real good and I think the silicone isn't even needed. If you look carefully at the roof's in the emboss they are filled with some sort of body filler, but under it is the strongest part of the roof and is 2 and 3 layers of sheet metal in most places.

Looks real good. Nice Job, good looking weld I know conduit can be hard to weld, even after it cleaned. Looks very Professional
Thanks very much! Its 1/16 wall tube and is very heavy overall finished, I just used a conduit bender but conduit itself would have been a pain to weld for sure!

#14 ·
Tank, do you have a side shot of you truck. The reason I ask is I'm wondering how far you rack goes over the cab. I still want to use my sunroof without interference of the rack. Also, did you use the aluminum strip on the underneath side as the ground for all the lights?

#16 ·
tank your truck is so badass....that minor lift with those 41's and that rack really set it off......I guess the racks just look WAY better on lifted trucks, HotRodTodd, let's see a full shot of your truck from the side and how it looks.

#17 ·
Here are some side shots, I forgot my key when I went to where my truck is so I couldn't get in to take some pics of the mounts sorry guys.

#20 ·
Anytime Shock glad you were able to make it work, what did you end up doing for the wires into the cab? I have a system but I haven't finished that up yet. Looks great.

#22 ·
Tank does your wiring just unplug from somewhere if you wanted to take the shell off the way you have it mounted with no drilling of the cab makes me what to put a shell on my truck but I wold have to take it off every now and then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.