Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

16.5x14 and 33x15.5 mounting help?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  biostroke1 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a set of 16.5x14 weld wheels and a used set of 33x15.5 swamper sx tires. I cant get these tires to bead for the life of me. Ive been trying to stretch them by placing 16" pieces of wood inside the bead for several days, no luck. Tried the air blaster, no luck. Tried the starting fluid, no hair left on my arm and no luck. Tried the strap around the tire w/ all of the above, no luck. None of the local tire shops will touch em, and the ones that will try once and then say " theres no way". So how the heck do they, those running 14 and 16" wide wheels, get em mounted. I mean Ive seen pics of guy running 12" wide tires on 14" wheels, Id never do it, but it obviously can be done. So whats the trick? Thanks

#2 ·
Well I try to avoid starting fluid unless it is an emergency. The best method for me is the strap around the tire, plenty of lube on the bead of the tire and wheel, remove the valve stem core, and you may need to put some hands and knees in there to push.

#8 ·
First thing it don't lay the tire down. You must stand it up so the weight of the rims and tire don't pull the tire apart. You also need an air chuck that will lock on the stem and add air as tire pops. Spray twice as much starting fluid as you think you should. You also have to light it as soon as is possible. Don't wait even like 5 seconds after spraying the fluid is to long.

Here is how I do it.
I stand the tire up and I hold the top of it.
Put the valve stem down on the rim.
Buddy with the match gets it lit and ready.
Lock on the air hose.
Spray in starting fluid into tire.
Turn face fast and look away....(to save eyebrows and hair from burning)
Buddy throws match at the tire.

Sometimes you have to do it twice as the tire and rim are to cold and you don't get a good explosion.

#10 ·
The only part I disagree with, and simply because I did it, is dont fill with air while making the explosion. I did this and evidently the pressure from the explosion had no where to go and popped the tire. Could have just been me, but I have had no issues with doing it while the valve stem is out.

#9 ·
lol...interesting as we ALWAYS did em laying down, but other than that i agree with above.

we would lay em flat and spray the ether down into the tire while walking around it, by the time you make it a full turn around the tire have the buddy drop the match while you go in the opposite direction with the can :D

...is this where i put in a legal disclaimer about not trying this at home, etc etc :hehe:

#11 ·
Ive seen it done so many different ways on youtube, and theyve all woked. Thats why Its so frustrating that I cant seem to get it to work for me. Guess Ill try once more. My last set of swampers were 33 x13.5 and I mounted them on 17x12 weld wheels by running inner tubes in em for a few days until the side walls relaxed then pulled the tubes, remounted and balanced the tires. If the starting fluid doesnt work It looks like Ill have to use the inner tube deal again.

#13 ·
put the wood pieces in at least 3 are needed like a triangle.let sit in direct sun light for a few days,the longer the better allday if possible .then after days mount tire,in sun during day.NO valve stem core,stand tire up(like mounting on truck),spray ether inside tire and all the way around bead,lite as soon as it goes 'whoosh' put air chuck on,go about 1 min have core ready pull hose off insert core,set to desired presssure.

have had to use ether and the ratchet strap methods together also

have the tires ever been mounted? what brand ether/starting fluid are you using?

we have sometimes had to spray both sides of rim.some ether does not work as well as others(not sure why?

also on 16.5 rims do not lay flat have seen them blow out the back side before

#14 ·
I do all my tires with ether anymore, much easier then using tire machine. I lay tire & rim down, spray all the way around just inside of rim and tire completly!!, I dont put air on until after but you got to be quick!, and I light mine with the butane torch thats already lit and an arms length away!, been doing all my tires like this for 10 years or better, never had a problem other then having to do 1 or 2 times to a tire., and I have ran 285s on 16x10 and 33x12.50x16.5 on 12 wide rims......and I still have all 10 fingers and my eybrows!!!

#15 ·
I have had wood in the tires for over a week in three, and the other is on the wheel. That one had wood in it for a few days. The ether is Parts Master from bumper to bumper. The tires are used, and were off a 10" wide wheel. I think thats why Im having such a hard time w/ em. I really appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. I know it can be done by using starter fluid, but I think Ill just thrown In the towel and get the tubes put in. Hopefully the tire co. doesnt zing me to bad on the extra labor. Ill post some pics when I get em on. 02 f250 cc long bed 4" lift. The super wide 33's will look good. Thanks again guys.

#16 ·
Ok, I finally got them on today! Man they ride like crap, they're loud, and they have some wicked death wobble. But they look awesome! I expected the noise, so I assume the lousy ride is from the tires not balanced properly. How do I get rid of the death wobble? Its scary. I almost have to come to a complete stop to settle the truck down. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Im still trying to figure out how to post some pics too.

#18 ·
Also check your steering stabilizer, a bad stabilizer will let it bounce you off the road. I had one truck that had a bad stabilizer with a set of 33" boggers first time out it went into a death wobble so bad it broke the trac bar bracket on the frame.
Put on a new set of dual stabilizers and was good to go.

#19 ·
I took the swampers off for the time being. I noticed the tie rod ends @ the pitman arm and the lower one are pretty worn and need to be replaced as well as the addition of dual stabilizers. Im not sure if the tires can be balanced but I think it may be worth a try.

#20 ·
try dual steering stabilizers that should solve the death wobble

get some pics of it

tires should be able to be balanced if it is a good tire shop.dont use anything other than lead weights on bead or the stick on kind.equal and the other types suck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.