Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Piston deburring and bowl work

12K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Aljay 
#1 ·
I have been doing a great deal of research on internal work and I have a few things I thought I would posit for discussion.

1. Piston deburring, do you do it. Why or why not. One area of concern/interest for me is the bowl edges. Not only are they sharp and therefore crack prone, but as the piston reaches TDC the air is forced from the area outside the bowl to the bowl. A smoother transition may help in this transition and effect a more complete combustion.

2. Bowl work, any ideas or things that you have tried or wanted to try.

3. Ring gas ports. I don't think that this is needed because of the nature of the combustion in a forced induction compression ignition event. But maybe it is???

Just some thoughts. These are things that many builders in the gas world use so I thought I might bring them up....

#2 ·

In the past I have just removed the lip to allow for a bit more timing in the injection event and still have the fuel spraying into the bowl. I can make the argument that the "lip" needs to remain in the bowl design and just the general shape enlarged with a bit of a radius on the sharp edge to help with heat build up and cracking.

#7 ·
At some point a lil less compression is needed any isn't it.
Like when adding in huge amounts of fuel and a much larger turbo eh?

#12 ·
One of these days when not so busy with work... It is my goal to understand why you would do the modification on the right...

Sam

#13 ·
Sam they do that when a higher lift cam is used so the piston wont hit the valves. At least thats one reason.

#15 ·
That makes sense - and what I was guessing. I really want to understand how that helps performance and such - the whole system and why one component needs to do something. One day - I will.

Sam

#16 ·
So really the one on the right would not be needed if your running a stock cam and pushing for maybe 600 max HP. I can understand slightly machined ones like the one on the left but for something that is a DD and stock cam does the one on the right really serve a purpose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.