Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Aside from intake and exhaust, what's the best progression to make more power?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  wa96pwrstrk 
#1 ·
I've done the intake and exhaust already, and have been pleased with the results, as they made notable differences in power and efficiency. I suppose my question is, what's the logical progression from there to make more, reliable power? My budget is limited, so I can't do more than one thing at a time.

#3 ·
Personally I started where you are intake & exhaust. Then I moved up to a TS Performance chip. Check out rosewooddiesel.com for a chip. There also a sponsor on here. Later you could move up to stage 1's and have your chip reburned. I would highly recommend the ts chip and NOT a tuner. Most any sponsor on here can reburn ts chips as you modify. So yeah get a chip and move up from there.

#4 ·
Gauges then a chip.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the input, it should help me get on the right track. I've had my eye on those glowshift gauges, the 3 in 1 deals. So following that, I'm thinking I should do the TS chip, they seem to come highly recommended. Do I need tranny mods, other than perhaps a SMF kit? Is the ZF5 a good transmission or am I going to run into trouble with adding power?

#9 ·
My truck used to be a 5 speed and as soon as I put a chip in the stock clutch wouldn't hold IF I floored it. So I second a clutch. I have glow shift gauges and like them. I found a valair single mass clutch kit on eBay for $650. It was a whole kit pressure plate, friction disc one side organic one side ceramic, throwout bearing, and a solid flywheel. It was alittle grabby but not bad. Once you get gauges chip it i was happy and picked up MPG's.

#10 ·
Gauges
shim fuel regulator (BB mod) to 65 psi at idle
clean fuel regulator screen inside filter canister
power peddle mod (adjust fuel peddle reostat to 4.5 volts at WOT)
not sure if you left on the cat if so clean out the internals
hpx cross over line connecting both heads together

These are all inexpensive mods to do ('k not gauges) should help engine
run with greater efficiency maybe not any hp increase but well worth the effort I think

cheers

jrc

#11 ·
Wow, I'm gonna go broke doing this. Things I've done so far are: Changed oil, air and fuel filters, cleaned the screen, 3" dp to a gutless kitty, 4" from the cat back. The stock air filter box is gone, and as luck would have it, my local NAPA doesn't stock the 6637? Filter. If they get it in, they want near $70 for it. I'll probably be ordering a Tymar? setup soon; I'm filtered, but not sure I'm happy with it.

I'm not sure how to do the accelerator pedal mod, and adjust it to the 4.5 at WOT, or to do the hpx crossover. I'm literally at a loss on those things. I'll wait to shim the FPR until I get a good reading on my pressure. Thanks again for all the input! You guys know your s###.

#12 ·
You can check out summitracing.com for a fram CA6818. That's frams equivalent to the 6637 which my local napa has for $70 also. The 6818 is $35 at summit and you can also order yourself a 4" piece of straight exhaust pipe for $20. It all $10 for shipping. Where there's a will there's a way. At one time I was driving 700 miles a week and told my queen that the chip helped with MPG and which it did and that was how I convinced her to let me get it. I picked up about 3-4 MPG with it once an intake, exhaust and gauges were in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.