Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hornblasters help

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  bpb424 
#1 ·
So i recently purchased and installed the shocker 540 hornblasters kit. :D

It has the 5 gal tank with it. Does anyone know how long it should take to fill the tank? I feel like my compressor is running non stop. I have felt around my fittings and listened for leaks, but I can't seem to find any. Tonight I'm gonna use some soapy water to look for leaks.
I just wanna know how long it should take to fill the tank....

#5 ·
Sounds like the compressor is bad even if there was a leak it should fill faster then that and if not you would hear that leak across the room. I have a dc7600 and i fill a 10 gallon tank in about 2 minutes.

#8 ·
I agree with Adam on this one. If there's a line that's not plugged in (or something similar) and NO pressure is building, then you're not going to hear it. Its not like the system is already at 150 psi and has a slight leak that the compressor can overcome (compressor turns on and off).

#10 ·
I guess if the compressor is really small but he said it does fill eventually 30 min. I blew air line on mine and everything leaked out and the compressor thermaled when it cooled down and came back on i could hear the air coming out through the tool box. It was building pressure with a open line. But i see what you are saying i don't no much about the vivair compressors.

#15 ·
I never said the compressor has shut off. It has ran for a total of like 30 mins while I was driving around town. It only shuts off when the ignition is off. It doesn't seem to build (or hold) and pressure

#16 ·
mine is doing the same thing. it will build enough pressure to make teh horn work but it never shuts the compressor off. i'm gonna check for leaks and test the pressure switch tomorrow

#19 ·
I wasn't tryin to be a dick, sorry.
I still haven't had time to mess with it, work has been killing me these last few days, and now I'm headed to tailgate for the OSU game:D

#20 ·
ok so I think my compressor may be bad
I couldn't find any leaks in my tank, but when I pulled off the filter and put my hand against this:

air is being pushed out. I thought this is where air would be sucked in and then compressed into the tank

#21 ·
Make sure it's wired to the pressure sensor correctly also.

#24 ·
the check valve on my NEW Viair compressor was bad when i got it. pull the check valve off and see if it works then

#27 ·
Who did you get the kit from? They should be able to help you. Or you can call Complete Performance. They could probably help you.

#28 ·
It was the check valve in the compressor line. There is a new one out and on the way to him right now. Hopefully it will fix everything and he will be honking again in no time:D

#29 ·
Huge thanks to BigStroker. I had full intentions on paying for a new check valve and he already had one shipped to me in less than 24hrs after I sent him a PM!

A+ customer service!

#30 ·
So I received my new check valve in the mail the other day. Since I'm inpatient and I wanted to hear my horns I hooked up the compressor without the check valve in place last week and it worked fine.
Now with the check valve on I feel like it takes twice as long to fill the tank.
Is there any harm to the compressor by not running check valve?

#32 ·
Yes, there is much harm that will be done to your onboard air system, without running the check valve. It is inline with the leader hose for good reason.

Not running the ViAir check valve will allow air to leak back into the head of the air compressor. This will produce a number of detrimental concerns with your unit. The built up back pressure will cause the fuse to blow, the internals to wear, and not to mention, your kit will have a leak, that will never be fixed.

Install the check valve, and problem solved ;).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy!

Garrett@Hornblasters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.