Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

just some general questions...

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
ok fellas, the family is expanding. wife is expecting and my 96' eclb ain't gonna cut it anymore. already too full with a 10year old, two newfoundlands, and a lab. so i think it is excursion time. now to the questions:
1. what transmission is behind the 7.3 excursions? anything specific i should look for?
2. did they make a 5/6 speed excursion?
3. what kind of mileage are people getting?
4. any problem areas i need to keep an eye out for?
5. are the 7.3 excursions factory intercooled?
6. will the aftermarket parts i have on my 96' work on an excursion?

just looking for as much info as possible before i start shopping. i really don't want the 6.0 so my options are gonna be limited from the get go. thanks for the help in advance!!!

Zach

#2 ·
1)4R100...same as the E40D but with upgrades...
2) none...all Auto....
3) Not sure on the 7.3...probably close to other 7.3's....
4) (Others will chime in I am sure)
5) Yes, same as ALL Super Duties...
6) No, they won't, you might be able to get your CHIP retuned for the Excursion depending on the Chip....

#3 ·
Mileage with mine is 16 average in the city and up to 18 on the highway but thats lifted w/37's. Stock height and tuner i would think you could get 21 or so. I dont know of any specific problems yet. Check out suspension mods and shocks and you should be set.

#4 ·
My 6.0 gets 16-17 max..lifted stock didn't matter. Suspension on the 4x4 excursion needs lots of help..tons of posts about the mods required. I ve helped hundreds do them PM me and I'll get you info so you know before you buy.

Cary

#6 ·
My 6.0 gets 16-17 around town, dedicated long road trips Ive seen 19.7. All stock

I Just lost my Newfy / Lab mix last night... she got too close to the road! Loved that dog! Tough end to a good weekend.

the stock ride in my X is less than desireable, OBSWIZ has the game plan with X's.... Look him up (he's already posted here), easy to talk to and is fast with info!

Overall the X has been great, 3 kids and a big azz dog, we all had tons of room....

#8 ·
Love our Excursion...would not give it up for anything!

#9 ·
Min gets 16 city and 19-22 hwy (never over 70mph and depends a huge amount if its flat lander area or hills and mountains.) Tire pressure I have found has a sig effect on mpg with these things as well as all SD 7.3s not sure of other engines. Going from min to max PSI I can pick up 2 mpg. I gained 2 on the highway from the chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.