Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.7 on other sites

25K views 183 replies 37 participants last post by  utlonghorns416 
#1 ·
#3 ·
this is a brand new motor and it needs some break in time

#16 ·
Yep, bashing it before it was near production even,,,, like the guy at the beginning said, ....
Posted Feb 4th 2010......
i had some time to blow at work and jumped on the ford online forum. it is a place where ford dealers can talk to each other. well there is a place for diesel techs to talk and there was a few post on there about some preproduction 2011 powerstrokes having problems already. one was it drank all the coolant and another was a no start issue. i just find it ammusing that this is supposed to be the future for ford and it is having problems already! oh well, i guess i can call it job security
Dealers know about these "Problems" with PROTOTYPES? :eek: Yea right,,:pointlaugh:

G
#6 ·
Ya I have read some GM guys talking crap about the 6.7.. Pretty funny stuff.. I think there just trying to justify the uglyness of there nasty looking, weak front endend bailout junkbox's.. There is just no way to dress that ugly frontend up.. That new Dodge isn't much better..

#7 ·
LOL true that

#10 ·
I hope a a GM guy is reading this one. I have 3 Ford dealerships all with 8 miles from each other and pass by them alot in just a week. this year I have seen so many more dodge and GM diesels on their used lots. and its just not here in IL i seen that. when i go to my house in grand haven MI all they have is ford dodge and GM dealers and the ford dealers are all loaded with dodge trucks and GM. nexttime you pass by a ford dealership just take look next time.

#11 ·
dealership here has a couple duramaxes out on the lot for sale.. i believe many have high hopes for this new stroker :ford:

#12 ·
the one thing i have to say is i have layed under all the new trucks and aint none of them worth a hoot with all the new emissions crap on them. i like things about them all and dont like things about them all. those ignorant a$$ holes just need to join the rest of the word and see the light that the world isnt a perfect place???

#13 ·
WOW,, I post that those guys on Cummins are smoking crack, that the 6.7s have not been having those problems and they are just scared, that's it...

2 MINUTES LATER, I go back to check my post for something,, and I get this when I try to log in! THIS IS HILARIOUS!

You have been banned for the following reason:
Troll

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

I don't care what you say,, this is funny sh!T

#89 ·
I posted no bashing at all just said go see for your self how the 6.7L is doing on the ford forum's and that there are no problems with it at all.

I get this
You have been banned for the following reason:
troll from ford forum

Date the ban will be lifted: Never

#14 ·
I just sent the Cummins forum webmaster this email,,, see what happens.
So, I have a question, just because my first post is to defend the 6.7,, and make a few comments, NOTHING derogatory towards the Cummins either,,,
Just that I think Ford has hit a home run,,and they are wrong. So maybe I made some humorous remarks,, but nothing that should have hurt anyones feelings bad....

I GET BANNED? WOW,,, that's just like what OBAMA is going after, you guys are way ahead of him though,,

Sheesh,, I guess this forum is not worth being a member of.. and I know several friends that have Cummins' some in their FORDS....

Really I do hope you reply to this, I would love to know the serious reason I got banned for. (Just because someone "Tagged" me as a troll?) You should read the post, think a little before you actually follow through,,,, I would like to be a member of this forum,,, for other reasons than to defend the Powerstrokes,,,

#15 ·
Just posted this on the GM forum,,,

Face it, you Cummins and Dmax guys, (and I retired from GM in June of 06 after 30.8 yrs) Are just plain scared of the 6.7,, plain and simple,, also I posted something similar to this on the Cummins forum this morning and within 5 minutes I was banned for being a TROLL? :rofl So if your first post is to try to defend the 6.7, and Ford an your a troll? WOW,, same company runs that forum I think too, if I get banned here oh well, I hope some of you see my post before it happens,,,
Enjoy the scenery of the '11s tailgate as it's passing you on a grade towing more than you are in your Isuzu motored trucks, :drink When the Ford driver gets to the top, maybe he'll have a beer waiting for you!

#17 ·
Ive been around dmaxs for five years now and some of them are getting up there in mileage(one has 160k). They havent been troublefree by any means! They are good for a crew of medium sized guys. Im 6'3 and when I have to ride in the backseat of one of the chevy's, new bodystyle or older, its not good. I loved the 03-05 dodge but it too has a stingy backseat. My 2000 with 250k(actually closer to 300 if you correct it for the bigger tires) seems to be more mechanically sound. The 2008 and older chevy trucks suck for braking with a trailer. A heavy trailer will PUSH the truck around. The 6.4 had a stigma around it when it was new for poor mileage and some problems. I had a friend that bought a 08 dodge with the 'new' cummins because the problems with the, new then, 6.4. He traded a early 99 reg cab 7.3 for that one and tried to get it back a year later when Dodge bought it back at the nudging of a lemon-law case from his atty. It was a POS. Maybe it was his truck or maybe it was the design.

Dmax owners are the worst though! The ones that 'put some stuff on them' claim wild hp numbers. The conquests of their trucks make me laugh. Its not the truck its the d-sh!ts drivin em. I wouldnt mind a black cc/sb dmax, or a megacab dodge in black with a ctd. Not over my ford though. The package that ford puts the psd's in is leaps ahead of what the other two offer. My co-worker has an 07 6.7 that I rode in the other day. Good power. Thing had balls but the inside is el-cheapo! If the eye is drawn away from the BIG white gauges the inside looks total wal-mart. Nice motor, junk packaging.

If I went out to buy a new hd truck with a diesel, it'd be a ford. No doubt in my mind. The 11 Dodge is hideous. No redeeming qualities imo. The new chevy looks like the 08+ but with a 'new' chassis. Whoopie! 14" brakes now. Wow! So maybe the trailer wont push it around. Trucks too darn light!

My money is on Ford. Aside from the 350 chevy nobody else has accomplished what ford has. Apparently ford is better with their money too. Everybody bashes the powerstroke because they dont understand the attraction. Which is fine with me.

#22 ·
I am a ford loyalist as well. I have driven all the bug 3s new trucks. My uncle has a 2010 dmax, a good friend has a 2008 6.7 cummins and I have a 6.4 but have driven the 6.7. Each truck has its perks. I think the duramax sounds the best out of them lol but I think that the interior leaves a little to be desired. Its definitely a second to fords but I think gm has been on top of the game in interior for so long and with money issues, cheaped out a bit. I have noticed they seem to float pulling an enclosed trailer with wind because they are so light. I agree with Tyler, trailers push them around. I think the new fords have a lot wider torque curve which makes good power through the gears. In stock form, the 6.4 is a pig. My uncles 2010 duramax ec/sb was way faster than mine fwiw.

#24 ·
Gm bases the gvwr, and trailer towing capability of the trucks higher on the principle that the trucks have a lighter starting weight. Even with 2,000lbs of 'stuff' in the truck the enclosed trailers shove the truck around. On snowy roads, under those same conditions, forget it. Ive never used/ridden in a dmax dually that was towing so I dont know if thats any better.

I disagree with gm trucks having nicer interiors. The older halftons, maybe. But the 04+ f150s have much nicer appointments available.

#95 ·
The trailers I pull at work weigh 9,500lb. empty. The small one is only 7500lb. I haul equipment, hay and about anything I can get on the trailers. Just for what its worth I can stop a gm truck with 9500lb. in tow better than the f250 with no trailer on snowy roads. The regular cab 2500hd handles a loaded trailer so much easier than the extended cab long bed f250. The Ford also tends to do a lot of weeble wobbling which makes it a pain to take a trailer through some of the cities I get into all the time. I was always under the impession that Ford was supposed to be a tougher solider truck, but i really dont like the one we have at work.

#26 ·
Ben, I didn't just sign up to do anything, except defend the PSD,, when some idiot says the ford dealer mechanics are finding problems with the new 6.7L BEFORE it's even out? LOL,, that's just some funny stuff there,, that thread started in Feb of 2010,,, before any were "0n the street",,,
I read the post and couldn't resist making some replies,, sorry.:bowfast:

Oh, and when it comes to being immature,, just read some of your members replies,, :( We see where the immaturity starts!
Don't worry, I won't "Bother" you guys anymore... I have had my "Fun" LOL
Gee, I was really wondering if your forum would ban someone as quickly as the Cummins guys did,, kudos to you! Ya didn't..

#30 ·
I didn't read what you posted the the CF, but from what you said you said on there I can see how a guy could take that the wrong way. I don't think it was bad enough to ban you, but they probably thought you were just another troll. Glad your out there defending the 6.7, just as Ben is on here defending the Duramax. To many guys are to sensitive about the make of their truck and they take what you say personally and fight with a biased one way attitude. Don't think you should have got banned. Glad there are people who go on other forums to correct rumors. Hate BS lies.

#27 ·
duratothemax...... I would trust a GM pulling a trailer just as far as I can throw a dodge tranny...you can't throw a transmission. I owned a 03 duramax and was wrecked sliding down a exit ramp pulling 2,000 lbs. I was only going 20MPH in lite snow and tried the E brake, softly braking, pumping the brake and tried down shifting and it just coasted in the middle of a INT and was T boned by 2 cars. Had no trailer control what so ever. I went and got a Ford and never had a towing issue. last winter I did the same test with the ford on the same exit and didn't have to worry about a thing. Ford just makes a better truck plane and simple. have you ever notice that at any contruction site ( highway, road, building site) you will always see more fords than anything else....that should tell you something right their

#33 ·
duratothemax...... I would trust a GM pulling a trailer just as far as I can throw a dodge tranny...you can't throw a transmission. I owned a 03 duramax and was wrecked sliding down a exit ramp pulling 2,000 lbs. I was only going 20MPH in lite snow and tried the E brake, softly braking, pumping the brake and tried down shifting and it just coasted in the middle of a INT and was T boned by 2 cars. Had no trailer control what so ever. I went and got a Ford and never had a towing issue. last winter I did the same test with the ford on the same exit and didn't have to worry about a thing.
If you did all those things trying to stop at only 20 MPH, then I wouldn't say its the trucks fault, you were probably on ice. I feel bad that you got t-boned, thats never good. But regardless what kind of vehicle you have, if your on really slick ice your not going to stop. Trying to stop with the Ford at the same place next winter proves nothing, its not the exact conditions (no ice). Not trying to start anything! But I really don't see how you can blame the truck (could be the tires fault! what tires on the chevy/ford?). Thats just my opinion. I wasn't there and dont know exactly what was going on, I'm only going on what you said. :ford:

#35 ·
Oh, and DURAtotheMAX,, I don't have to go over there, then come back here to "Feel cool" I get along with most over here just fine already,,,
But if you think that's what it was,,, oh well.
I like this site for all the KNOWLEDGEABLE people here, who help when you need it, and I like to be able to help when I can,, which is often enough too.

#36 ·
FordPSD4life, Here are my posts over there, except for two where I responded to being called a name I would have expected maybe in Jr High,, not on a forum where adults are supposed to be,,, and the post where I said I was done, know I wouldn't be missed:D and had had my "Fun"...
In your opinion where was I being "Childish" LOL (I know you were not saying I was, they are)
Face it, you Cummins and Dmax guys, (and I retired from GM in June of 06 after 30.8 yrs) Are just plain scared of the 6.7,, plain and simple,, also I posted something similar to this on the Cummins forum this morning and within 5 minutes I was banned for being a TROLL? So if your first post is to try to defend the 6.7, and Ford an your a troll? WOW,, same company runs that forum I think too, if I get banned here oh well, I hope some of you see my post before it happens,,,
Enjoy the scenery of the '11s tailgate as it's passing you on a grade towing more than you are in your Isuzu motored trucks, When the Ford driver gets to the top, maybe he'll have a beer waiting for you!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
i had some time to blow at work and jumped on the ford online forum. it is a place where ford dealers can talk to each other. well there is a place for diesel techs to talk and there was a few post on there about some preproduction 2011 powerstrokes having problems already. one was it drank all the coolant and another was a no start issue. i just find it ammusing that this is supposed to be the future for ford and it is having problems already! oh well, i guess i can call it job security
Posted Feb 4th 2010????

Dealers know about PROTOTYPES problems???? BEFORE it's in production???Yea, right,,,,,,
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have an 03/7.3L, is it fast? Nope,, wasn't built or engineered to be competitive with the Newer motors, The technology is OLD compared to the new ones,,, is it dependable,, yes.
So comparing the 7.3 to the Dmax, or newer Cummins is really quite funny

Although there are aftermarket options for them, and I have one friend who owns a 97 regular cab 4x4 with a tool box and ladder rack, he tows his camper with it,, then drag races it when he gets there,,,, he's in the 11s so he would give some of you a good race.....

#42 ·
FordPSD4life, Here are my posts over there, except for two where I responded to being called a name I would have expected maybe in Jr High,, not on a forum where adults are supposed to be,,, and the post where I said I was done, know I wouldn't be missed:D and had had my "Fun"...
In your opinion where was I being "Childish" LOL (I know you were not saying I was, they are)
No, I don't think you were being childish. From my point of view if I were to own a Duramax, I would see the "just plain scared of the 6.7" and "Enjoy the scenery of the '11s tailgate as it's passing you on a grade towing more than you are in your Isuzu motored trucks" as a small hint you want to start a pissing contest. What if a Dmax guy came over here and said those exact things? How many guys on here would be calling him a troll and slandering the Dmax? Especially since you were a new guy and that was your first post it just made it worse. Now if you had been on the forum for a little while and made a helpful post once in a while and then came out with a thread like this there *might* not have been a problem since some people knew who you were (like alot of us know Ben).

That being said, I don't think you were in the wrong. Its a damn good time to be a Ford fan right now, they are coming out with so many bada$$ toys!!! Glad you defending the 6.7! Really think its going to be winner, Ford will NOT let this engine be a another flop. I'd say its done helluva job so far being a brand new engine, really not any major issues. Of course there will be odd balls here and there will a factory screw ups but I'm betting everything is taken care of by the time you can order job 2 trucks. :ford:

#48 ·
Im not sure how they could down play it, thats stupid. They will all fail, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Anyone who says they have some snake oil concoction that they pour in the tank or fuel filter that prevents them from going bad is an idiot.

The LB7's are good engines, and make great race trucks because you can pick them up for pretty cheap...but I would never buy an LB7 as a daily driver/normal use truck. With the amount of miles I put on my truck I would be changing injectors every 2 years or so. Parts alone for doing all 8 injectors are ~$1800, then $60 for coolant, etc... I know there are die-hard LB7 guys out there who say they are the best dmax's, get the best fuel economy, they dont have emissions garbage blah blah blah, but ill stick to my 2004+ dmax's where I dont have to worry about "when is the next time Ill have to put 2 grand into it."

ben

G
#56 ·
I drive an 09 as a work truck. I tow a small dozer with it from time to time. It seems to brake okay. I plow snow with it also and compared to my truck it doesn't do that very well. The truck runs good and rides better than my 1 ton but It's not as ruggid as my Ford. I don't care for the looks of it, or the interior for that matter. When I get in my truck after driving the GMC all week, It's night and day as far as the feel of weight and comfort IMO. That's what makes me a Ford guy I guess..

#57 ·
Thank You! Mine is the 'nice' version and its more solid than than the gm work trucks. Sure its heavier but that helps a truck do its job when it comes to towing. If I wanted something light Id drive a compact car. Im not just being a fanboy but pointing out the fact that obviously gm knew that the brakes werent so hot or they wouldnt have put 14"ers on the 2011. I have been bitshing about the brakes for years.

I just highly doubt that if I bought a gm diesel and did to it what Ive done to mine for ten years it'd be in the kind of shape my truck is in. Thats not a knock against people that like gm's or the truck itself but rather a long running observation. Some people dont seem to get that. Same reason I dont hang out on a cummins forum or, drumroll please, a dmax forum.

I know, I know, Im close minded but at least Ive got a well-built truck to haul it around in....that stops, might I add.

Rant over.....

#59 ·
Actually, Ben, the trucks actually do stop for sh!t. I meant what I said. THats all they stop for.

As for your comment about them raising the gvwr on the new trucks read one of my previous posts. You cant raise payload/trailer towing capacities on a truck that already has braking issues.

I dont really care to argue about brakes that need to be cleaned and adjusted at every oil change, again this points to poor design. Thanks for confirming this. IN the event that something happens a tow rigs brakes need to be able to stop whatever its rated to tow. I wouldnt expect this to be efficient but that is a fact. What are you goint to do with a plow and saltbox in one of these trucks? Blame the plow for not having brakes to adjust? Tell people to empty their spreaders when they use the work trucks on public roads? THats what I thought.

#61 ·
Well, I am going to pop in here and argue a point. Ben seems to think that the trailers brakes are supposed to stop the trailer,,, I have towed ALLOT of weight behind my Dually on a 3 car wedge trailer. (Grossed out at 29,000 one time, averaged 20k+ for 80,000 miles in 18 months.) Sure OTHERS on here have towed more, I know, but that's more than most ever try with these trucks I imagine. The brakes on the trailer are not meant to stop it alone, the truck HAS to help. PERIOD, If you know what electric brakes look like on say a 14,000 lb trailer, they are small, and the electro magnet that activates them is pretty much delayed after you hit the brakes on the truck. The TRUCK has to start stopping. And the brakes on a LOADED trailer are to assist the stop.
Those brakes on 5ers, and Gooseneck trailers are small. 10" around and not wide shoes at all......

#62 ·
No, according to him, you just dont have your trailer brakes set up right.:blah:

I was always taught to adjust the booster until it'll lock the brakes up then back it off a bit. I agree with the idea that the truck is the initiator in the stopping process. Not just a trigger for trailer brakes. Depending on the loads balance on the trailer that could make for some hairy stopping/hitch load. I mean how are you to set up a dump trailer that has the axles as far back as they can physically be located to stop itself without pitching forward and putting a huge amount of downforce on the trucks hitch and making the front end so light that it'll barely steer?

Point #2 is dead on. If you've serviced electrically actuated trailer brakes its obvious they are supplemental not primary.

#63 ·
If you depend on the trailer brakes to do all the work, you will be replacing them fairly often. With 86,000 miles on the clock and a lot of it towing trailers 10k to 18k lbs, my F350 SRW will still stop any load in a very comfortable manner. Imagine how many miles I could get out of the truck brakes if I let the trailer do all the work.

P.S. - It's a great philosophy if the trailer doesn't belong to you!

#64 ·
I said "basically" irrelevant. Thats how I have always adjusted trailer brakes too, set them so they lockup, then back them off. If the trailer doesnt belong to you, crank them up, as Matt said. :D

If you cant stop in a reasonable manner and you are towing a trailer that is within the trucks GCWR, something is not right. Whether its the trailer brakes, the trucks brakes, or a combination of both.

Ive said that the ford brakes feel stronger and sharper, but the GM brakes arent completely worthless. I hear of plenty of people complain about the GM brakes needing maintenance, but once they are "refreshed" they work alright. Notice I didnt say excellent, or as good as ford brakes...so dont label me a troll or 'fanboy'. People are talking about this as if under identical circumstances the GM brakes are SOO crappy that they need an extra 30+ feet to stop or something like that.

oh, and im not "just a brake jobber", I assume you meant that derogatorily??? IF you do care, and just for the record..I own a diesel shop and build 900+rwhp race dmaxs [engines], custom allisons, I machine/design my own custom parts for these trucks, I engineer/build custom electronics and computer interface modules for duramax's (I was the first person to design/figure out how to make an allison torque converter lockup controller that actually works, and I was the first person to figure out how to make the allison transmission "tap-shift" tiptronic feature work/retrofit on the pre-2006 trucks)...among other little things. I know what things suck on the GM trucks (I have a whole list, Im not afraid to read it off if anyone cares) and what things are 'OK' and what things work well. Im not just some idiot who flies the GM flag without really knowing why.

Oh, and yes, I do brakes as well.. ;)

Ben

#65 ·
oh, and im not "just a brake jobber", I assume you meant that derogatorily??? IF you do care, and just for the record..I own a diesel shop and build 900+rwhp race dmaxs [engines], custom allisons, I machine/design my own custom parts for these trucks, I engineer/build custom electronics and computer interface modules for duramax's (I was the first person to design/figure out how to make an allison torque converter lockup controller that actually works, and I was the first person to figure out how to make the allison transmission "tap-shift" tiptronic feature work/retrofit on the pre-2006 trucks)...among other little things. I know what things suck on the GM trucks (I have a whole list, Im not afraid to read it off if anyone cares) and what things are 'OK' and what things work well. Im not just some idiot who flies the GM flag without really knowing why.

Ben

Aha I see! Knew your love with the Duramax went far deeper than just a brand! Lol.

It sounds like you do some nice work, I'd like to see some of it! Any photobucket links or anything like that? I always love to see custom work....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.