Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

PSA: PLEASE DONT BUY AFTERMARKET WARRANTIES!!

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  alwil 
#1 ·
I just hate to see people get bent over when it comes to making claims with them. We have 2 trucks in the shop now both with aftermarket warranties, both have blown headgaskets, one company has already declined because of the "trickle affect" basically the oil cooler takes out the egr cooler then the egr cooler takes out the headgaskets, they wont cover it because that's how it happened, even if that's not true in each case..they take a TSB over facts (how convenient)

The other truck is here and it will be torn down soon for the company to come and inspect but I would guess they will deny it too, it never fails.

These companies have no problem taking you $1500-2000+ for this "fantastic" warranty that sounds great on paper when you don't have any problems. But mark my words, you have an issue, they will weasel their way out of covering it..

Be smart guys, buy the FORD ESP ..if you are going to buy anything. And just make sure of what you are getting, just because you buy a warranty from Ford doesn't mean its a FORD ESP, the dealerships do sell these crappy aftermarket warranties that are typically several hundred cheaper then the FORD ESP.

Also when buying any warranty, weigh your options as to what you could buy for upgrades and fixes for known problems vs. buying a warranty that may or may not cover said failures.

ok, rant over..

See less See more
#3 ·
Adam,

I hear ya I've had several people come in the last couple days saying they had those extended warranties. They aren't worth the paper they are written on.

#5 ·
yea, typically we wont accept them at all or deal with the companies because of all the hassle then never paying. These were a couple special cases but the customer guaranteed payment to us (signed contract w/deposit) no matter the outcome of the warranty company. That's the only way we will even work on them.

#4 ·
When I was working in the dealership, I don't think I ever seen a single one get paid. They will come up with every excuse not to pay.

#11 ·
if you have any doubts.... google any company that sells the warranty. you can read for days on that topic. the only warranty is a factory backed warranty. you would be money ahead to take 2 grand cash put it in a cd or saving account and get paid intrest. if you have a issue then all you do is pull the cash and pay for the problem. you would probably have better luck playing the lotto or at the craps table then the aftermarket warranty

#13 ·
yep, a relative of mine bought a 3/4 chevy new, ordered it with plow prep package, had the dealer install the plow, and bought an extended warranty from the dealer BECAUSE he was putting a plow on it, for his own driveway only. then the rear end goes out, the warranty company comes out and sees the plow mount and says it voids the warranty---- he did however get the difference back from purchase price minus previous repairs that were covered. I wonder if this wouldn't be a good use for a lawyer to go after these company's and show that they are fraudulent

#14 ·
^^^ I understand he got the difference back, but how can they void they're on warranty. The guy did everything right by the book. Most jeeps aren't covered if they've been lifted, however there's a dealer nearby that does lifts and warranties them with factory backing. A friend of mine had to fix one under warranty at his employer who didn't sell it or lift it because of that dealer.

#20 ·
the fine print in the aftermarket warranty stated no plows but the dealer and the customer missed it.

#16 ·
I unfort thought i was doing right thing and bought an aftermarket warranty for 6L. The warranty was $2k for 4 years and unlimited mileage. It actually has paid for more than itself... only thing not paid for is the EGR Cooler.

#21 ·
Does anyone know if you can get a Ford ESP after 100k warranty is up? My step dad is at 135k and was thinking it might be a good idea he gets one. His truck is all stock has been very reliable but knowing you have a warranty would be a lot better.

#24 ·
The extended warranty has to be purchased before the factory warranty expires.

#22 ·
I actually have the aftermarket warranty through KAP and it's EXCELLENT. I had my transmission go out on me back in February and it was a no questions asked situation. I called them told them the situation, they said " take it to a shop, have them call us and we'll get it paid for."

Chad

G
#23 ·
There maybe a few that are lagit, but damn few.. Auto One Warranty out of Ervine CA is not one of them.. I know a few people that have been taken by those thieves.. Like said in an earlier post, Google tells all..

#26 ·
cars is a pretty decent aftermarket warranty,have had two customers come in with cars and they covered most of the repairs.most warranties are useless they always find a loop hole to not pay

#27 ·
Only thing is they, probably like most, want to use cheap foreign parts and my mech. strongly recommended not to and pay th extras for motorcraft parts. So i pay a little more out of pocket to get them. Does that sound right to you turbodiesel_02? Or would they not make that big of difference.

#28 ·
i got fooled into buying one bc a dealer sold it to me.

The week after i bought it, i needed a new hpop and they wouldnt pay for it due to being a "fuel pump"...i argued with them and my mechanic(BTS) argued with them until I said eff it and paid for a new hpop, egr delete, and egt probe from bts.

Not too long later I had head gaskets and oil cooler go and they wouldnt touch it either, no big surprise, paid out of pocket for those repairs too. I cancelled it after that and was told i'd get a partial refund but havent seen anything, and dont anticipate seeing anything either...

Dont buy non-ford warranties folks!

#29 ·
We ran into alot of problems with aftermarket warranties at my dealer. What made it worst was that we had sold these POS warranties to the customers when that bought there vehicles from us. Found out later what had happend was this aftermarket warranty company was paying a much higher commission to the sales dept. than Ford was and they were pushing this aftermarket warranty over Ford esp. After the service dept. had to eat over $3000 in repairs this company was not covering our dealer stopped selling aftermaket warranties. Like everyone else has said, Ford esp is the only extended warranty to have.

#30 ·
The dealer I bought my truck from (a GM dealership) told me I needed a warranty to be able to buy the truck.....he said it was one of the financing rules.
So I paid $2500 for a warranty that went to 130K, then I blew my HG at work and decided to take it to FORD.....who better to take it to right.
The service manager at FORD promptly told me that my factory warranty went to 160K.....I have never swore so much in my life, I have also never went back to that dealership

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.