Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Camping with an Ex

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Arisley 
#1 ·
Anyone done any camping with an Ex? How did you do it? I am limiting this to tent/car tent camping. What size bed can you fit in the back of one? Recommend a particular item for camping (car tent, air mattress, etc) Post your pics.

#2 ·
Depends on how you get along with the Ex. Bigger question is what your currecnt wife will think about you off camping with an Ex.

#3 ·
SmartazzLOL

#4 ·
Sorry, could not pass it up. I tried, twice. I clicked off the thread. Had to come back to it.

#5 ·
If you didnt do it already I wouldveLOL

#7 ·
Sorry I could not help you with your question. I bet somebody will be along this evening to answer it. Or at least give it another bump to the top.

#8 ·
I would reccomend pillows and blankets and some food. I usually go camping to get loaded so you might want to bring some adult beverages. Cookies are good to and chips and hamburgers. Toiletpaper could be usefull also, but I like to bring wet wipes they keep you fresher as days go by. A matress would be nice. Some extra coolent and washerfluid would be nice, and maybe some nice oil. Fire's are always nice so some nice wood and matches might be a good idea.

#9 ·
Pretty much covers it. And the adult beverages would make it easier to put up with the Ex.

#10 ·
Queen air mattress, etc Purchase one of the rear end conversion SUV tents for the Excursion. It will give you a full size 4-8 person tent tided directly into the rear opening of the excursion. That gives you all the comforts the truck can supply you with plus the room of the tent tided together. May also want to bring a piece of corrugated tubing that can fit over the exhaust tail pipe so you can route it so it does not effect the tent area. That would give you the most from the setup. Or you can jsut go with a air mattress in the back of the X.

#11 ·
we take ours camping...we take out the rear seat and fold the front rear seat up...then blow up a cheapy walmart matress and it fits great in the back...i think its a twin

#13 ·
I want to try out a cool setup if I ever get up to letting go of the $$ to do it. One of those roof flip out tents that sits on top a safari rack along with a awning flip out on the other side. Add to that a out eh back rear door tent. Kids go up top and us parents get the one attached to the X back end.

The only thing is you have to make sure you are there to stay and hike whatever as you do not want to be tearing it down each day to go driving and then back up again. I have heard they are fast to setup and take down though.

Edit to add If you want some great info on camping etc with these and other vehicles check out ExPo : Vehicle Dependent Overland Community Forum that deals specifically on the topic of using vehicles for expeditionary travel. Got some very good info and setups ideas from there.

#14 ·
RTTs are very cool. I had one and liked it. On an X though, it would be pretty tall. It's common to mount them on a trailer.

We just got back camping from the holidays. I think my tent days are over. It was just too much work hauling and setting up, tearing down everything for the fam. The misses wants a trailer and I am in agreement.

#16 ·
I remove my 3 rd row seat before I go. When I get to camp, fold up the 2nd row seats, blow up the air matress and cover up. I have a 12v fan that plugs into the rear of the center console and keep a cooler full of beer...lol. Oh yeah, I kick on the rear DVD and watch a movie if I can't sleep. I usually bring a screened in tent to put everything from in the X in, like grill, food, any other gear i'm not worried about getting stolen.

#18 ·
Sportz makes the tent that can attach to the rear of the Ex......or it can also be used as a stand alone tent......I have one of the 81000's and it's great.....kids in the tent me and the wife in the Ex. You'll need the larger 81000 or 83000 to fit the EX
Sportz SUV Tents, Minivan Tents, Hatchback & Car Tents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.