Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6637 vs. AFE Big Boost

80K views 136 replies 33 participants last post by  Joe6Fo 
#1 ·
which one would be best? I have the 6637 and its about time to change it... I really like the AFE bc its washable...

Thoughts?

#4 ·
If you have no bias either way washable vs throw way then the big boost will flow significantly more air big boost 850 cfm @ 8" vs 470cfm for the Donaldson and clones.

It has the same dimensions as the paper but with the 5R media.

It also has filter media for the top where the 6637 is closed off so it has more media surface area. This top area fits perfectly into the fender air port.

It will resist water as its washable where a 6637 will fold.

They will both last 30-50K depending on environment where a wash dry and oil vs throw away and buy a new one.

After the 3rd wash the filter will be free comparatively to the best cost of either the Donaldson or 6637 clones etc.. You will have to be paying for a new one of those for ever while that big boost will be the dollar or under worth of oil.

The only reason to go with the 6637 is that you do not want to have to oil and wash and allow for drying. You could have an extra in the back ready to go.

I think of the two the big boost is better. For filter maintenance, I do it when I do my reg general maintenance (oil, tire rot, grease, brake bleed, fuel filter and water drain etc) I re-install the filter at the end and its fully dry and ready for oil.

#6 ·
Figures.... My afe stage 2 filter i gave up on after 6 yrs. and just got a new one... only flows 582 CFM. would have spent another 12 bucks for the extra flow. I'm not a 6637 fan.

#9 ·

#10 ·
They made it specifically to be a upgraded version for the 6637 upgrades that were becoming super popular.

On edit: This isn't like something new I know I have posted tons of times on it on this site along with these same photos and specs over the last year and half.

#15 ·
really? first i'd seen of it, but glad i ran across it.. seems if you are not on here every day, threads get pushed back beyond time to read them all. if that makes any sense.
Well i think im gonna order the AFE then... It seems a whole lot better...
me to, i just replaced my 6637 at the tune of 65 bucks..afe is reusable for 25 bucks more..:doh:

#11 ·
The area which still limits this design is the fact the outlet is only 4" and its a straight walled design. Like the other 6637 types it does not effectively use its entire surface area. This is where conical designs with larger outlets are superior but the sheer size of this makes it have higher flow. The same amount of surface area but in a conical design with a larger outlet like the aFe II or Banks would be superior in flow at lower vacuum.

#12 ·
Well i think im gonna order the AFE then... It seems a whole lot better...

#18 ·
if you have the 6637 the AFE will drop in.

#20 ·
:whs:

It has the same outside dimensions and outlet ports size.

#19 ·
Sometimes you can use the same OEM hose and get it to fit over the outlet on the filter after removal of the factory air box. It is a very tight fit. I think some must heat it to get it to fit as I could not get mine over it. For a temp you can use a 3" pvc coupler piece you get from HD. But that makes the opening smaller. Best is to get a short piece of 4" exhaust pipe. You need 2 to 4 straps to clamp it together depending which of those options you go with. IMO 2 for each joint opposing positions. You can also or a pipe I think aFe orders that will replace that first section of oem pipe/hose. Do some searches on here or other powerstroke sites for the DIY 6637 install and you will get plenty of detailed instructions and what has to be done. Its really no more than 30 mins work but doing it the first time may take an hour. After that its only the time it takes to loosen the clamps and re-tighten to get it off and on.

With the big boost when you get it installed make sure to get the top pushed up into the fender port "fresh air opening".

#21 ·
With the big boost when you get it installed make sure to get the top pushed up into the fender port "fresh air opening".
im having a brain fade day it would seem. where is this opening? can u post a pic of yours in this position? i know my 6637 doesnt reach the fender, is sits kinda tucked behind the battery, is this just a matter of a longer piece of pipe to move the filter over to the fender? or do i need to relocate the battery to behind the filter, and let the filter have the air from the front of the truck

#22 ·
Take a look at eh installed pic above. Right behind the front of the filter against the fender is a opening that pulls in fresh air. When you remove your factory air box you will see it plan as day. This port greatly drops the vacuum with the sealed box intake such as the AIS as does Banks new air box intake. This port is not worth much to the 6637 types as its sealed top end blocks it rather than uses the air. But the aFe with its filter media top can make great use of it.

#24 ·
id be in on a group buy for sure

#25 ·
i just went got my credit card to order one... if a vendor can get something going, ill hold off.

#30 ·
well with 10,000 post you ought to know someone that can do a group buy... Make it happen Jap:poke:

#27 ·
so instead of the motor being forced to pull 100% of the air through the filter, 6637, the big boost with open media top, when installed next to the fresh air opening, gets, to a minor degree, ram air, so motor only has to pull 75% air, other 25% is pushed in from fresh air port? yes i know, the nums are incorrect, its just easy nums for me to spin in my head

#29 ·
pretty much tree trimmer.

#32 ·
So this will fit a Tymar setup?

#33 ·
If you have any variance of the 6637 filter then YES it will fit.

#36 ·
So is this suppose to be the BEST flowing air filter for the afe or just a improvement over the 6637 or would it also be better then say the afe PG7 filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.