Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2wd into 4wd in a 05 F-250

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Stonepusher 
#1 ·
Well, I picked up the parts to turn my 2005 Reg Cab 2wd Truck into a 4wd, I was going to build a 2wd street truck but I then came across these parts and I just couldn't resist...... I paid $1800 for a Front axle off a 2006 which included radius arms, shocks, steering linkage, rotors, pads, everything, the Trans, and t-case off the same truck. Truck was a roll over and had 30k miles on it. The guy I bought the parts from still has the motor that he wants to sell, he was willing to sell me the COMPLETE motor, trans, t-case, and front axle for $4500, that was almost to tempting to pass up but I didn't need the motor. So.. now the work begins! Thanks to Truck Source Diesel in advance for they are willing to guide me through this build.

See less See more
#3 ·
None yet, soon.....studs, egr delete, and regulated return are getting done this coming week and then the following weekend I will start putting the 4wd in. I will post pics and updates as I go. :rockwoot:

#4 ·
I will be starting this conversion HOPEFULLY this coming week but I do have a question if anyone could help....... The t-case is electronic 4wd, does anyone know if I could convert this t-case or if I am screwed and have to look for a manual t-case?!?

#5 ·
Started putting the 4wd in today, I will post pics up a little bit later. Turns out the coil buckets are different, but other than that it is going pretty smoothly!!

#8 ·
here what I got so far, only thing I have to button up on the front suspension is the track bar. Next week I will start putting the 4wd trans and t-case in.
before:

AFTER:

I will keep this updated as we start on the transmission transplant!:evil

#10 ·
Finally found the time to finish my 4wd, and I did confirm that you can remove tail housing and tail shaft from a 4wd trans and bolt it right up to a 2wd trans. I basically just swapped tail housing's on the transmission's I had, thus not having to swap trannies. Went to the track last night and everything worked like a dream! All in all it was a pretty easy swap, the crossmembers are the same in a 2wd and a 4wd the only difference was the crossmember mount. Here are some pics of the final few steps:
2wd tail housing:

back of existing trans with tail housing removed:

4wd tail housing and t-case bolted up, with existing crossmember and new crossmember mount:

drive shafts:

And the way she sits now:

#11 ·
I just noticed that the previous pics got moved so here they are again, its not much because there was really much involved it was pretty basic, there was only really a handful of parts that were different:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.