Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

specific tire reviews anyone?

6K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  !!!PainTrain!!! 
#1 ·
so im kicking around the idea of getting some new rubber on my truck. I currently am running some procomp xtreme mud terrains. (35x12.50R20) Good tire, have 41K miles on them, and about 5k or so left. I want to go to a nice all terrain tire, in the sizes of either 35 or 37 inch on a 20 inch factory rim. below is some ideas i have, but feedback on my ideas or yalls, is greatly respected.

dick cepek F-C II
mickey thompson atz radial
supper swamper M16
toyo open country
supper swamper vortrac radial
general grabber at2
supper swamper, trxus sts all terrain. Radial
procomp x all terrain

All of these are 35x12.50 on a 20 inch rim.

#2 ·
I have had the toyo mts in both a 33 and a 35. The 33 I ran for about 35k then sold them for $400 bucks and bought new 35s. The 35s I ran for 20k or so before I traded the truck in. I rotated them every 3k or better but regardless they wore very very well. I never bogged my truck or anything but my truck is no stranger to dirt and mud and they do very well. So far probably the only tire I have come across that I would call excellent in all conditions. They do great in snow- my truck sees more snow than dirt really and I will be buying a set for my new truck in a couple months. If you look at tire reviews online the toyos seem to crush every other tire.

#3 ·
no one else has any feedback?

#4 ·
dick cepek F-C II- good tire with lots of tread and grip but more expensive
mickey thompson atz radial-heard good things about this tire all around
supper swamper M16-great tire but its a SS so itl wear a little faster
toyo open country-which one? MT or AT
supper swamper vortrac radial- very mild AT but has great reviews
general grabber at2- run them on my truck now. cheaper than BFG ATs but look the same and have great traction
supper swamper, truxus sts all terrain. Radial- great for pulling horrible anywhere else
procomp x all terrain-another good tire like the MT ATZ

most of this is from extensive reading/researching,not first hand experience FYI

#5 ·
the more i look into these tires, i am really starting to lean to the Mickey Thompson ATZ. , but the procomp xtreme all terrain has a 40k mile warranty. but the only thing i dont like it that the tread is directional. I think its a toss up between those two tires.

#6 ·
any more reviews?

#8 ·
i vote for toyo's , i had the 33's on my truck for 60 k and still have a few thousand left. i now have 35x12.50 and i really enjoy them also

#10 ·
I know some people bitch about them but i have had GREAT luck with Nitto Tera Grapplers. I have run several sets to 50k and there was some tread left, not much but they made 50k easy. I rotated them every 5-8k and they just worked.

micky

#11 ·
i am thinking either the ATZ or Procomp all terrains. just not sure yet. Sure wish there was some good ones with tread wear warranty and cheeper than what i am finding. but i guess thats hard to find in my size.

#13 ·
I have gotten 30-35k on mud tires before, but they weren't worth a damn after the tread depth got below 3/16". I would not expect them to perform for long in summer on road driving conditions. I throw them on before winter and take them off in the spring. I can vouch for BFG mud terrains and Goodyear Wrangler MTR's, both load range E's. Had a few sets of each. The toyo's look interesting though.

#15 ·
Even with the great reviews of the toyo tires, i want to move from MT to an AT tire. thats why i was looking into the Mickey Thompson ATZ or the Procomp XAT

#19 ·
how many miles have you put on yours?

#20 ·
I am getting ready to get the Interco M16. Before I had considered the M16 I had it narrowed to the MT ATZ and Toyo MT. Then I looked into the M16 on the suggestion of someone that had them. They are quiet for a MT tire and I have had ATs that were louder. They are actually really cool and have a very unique thread. The inside tread is more like a Thornbird with only the outside lugs like a bogger. It gives it a great look and very good dual purpose performance. You end up riding on the inner tread on the pavement and the outside lugs go to work when you hit the soft stuff or rocky off road. It has siping on all the treads for increased perf on wet and icy roads. Unlike other Super Swamper they used a new very hard compound that wears very slowly comparatively. I would say 40K was not going to be an issue at all if as with all tires you do your part with rotation and pressure. I liked them so much I ended up changing my mind and going with them instead of the MT-ATZ or Toyo MTs. They also ended up being cheaper as well. The weight ratings are also good as in very high and a large number of them are E rated.

I was going looking at tires in the 38-41 range so I went with the 40x14.5x20 3/10ply E rated 3750 lb rating per tire. I would suggest you go with the 37" between the 35 and 37. It is a E rated with 3 ply side wall as opposed to the 2 for the 35 but both have 10 ply treads. It also has a 3700lb per tire rating.

Honestly if someone had told me I would be running any Super Swamper on the street I would have told they were crazy. But this tire is impressive. They could have left the 5.56 round off the side wall and replaced with some tread and I would have been happy but its not a big deal.

If it were me I would be choosing between the Super Swamper M16 and the Mickey Thompson ATZ. They can both be had in E rating for your sizes for each company.

The MT-ATZ are 3 ply sidewall and only 6 ply tread for these sizes. 37 has a 3525 rating and 3195 for the 35.

The SS-M16 has 10 ply tread on both of these tires and a 3 ply side for the 37 and 2 ply for the 35. They have a 3700 and 3200 lb rating respectively.

I would likely go with the SS-M16 for the 37" and if I went with the 35" I would be hard pressed to choose. The M16 sidewalls are super thick but I like 3 ply at the same time 6 versus 10 ply makes it hard to choose. Probably go with the MT ATZ in 35 if I towed a lot as its sidewall woudl hopefully be a bit stiffer.

I can not stress enough how important regular rotation is to all tires duty life and performance.

#21 ·
I don't know anything about the Mickey Thompson ATZs but I have 35 12.50s MTZs on my dually. Like someone posted before the weight rating on the D Mickey Thompsons is higher than the E range tires that came off of it. They have been on for about 15 thousand, and are wearing evenly and look just about as good as they did when they went on.

I'd be willing to bet the ATZs are just as good.

#22 ·
yea, my neighbor is running the mtz's on his chevy. I cant tell on his because he leveled his truck with bigger torsion keys, and did not do his alignment for some time after (also not rotating either) so Im just trying to see what some guys are getting out of these.

#23 ·
I know duratracs weren't on the list but I have had pretty good luck with them and like them so far. You can get them in a 325 60 20 I think it is which is. 35 13 20

#25 ·
who makes em?

#27 ·
I have over 3 years on my current set of ProComp Xtreme A/Ts in 35x12.50R18. Awsome tire, can't say one bad thing about them. I've towed with them, run them on the highway, alittle off roading, etc. Been in Rain, Sleet, 4 feet of snow and never had a problem getting out of anything. The tread pattern really cleans the valleys out pretty well! Wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair or recommend them to my own family.

#28 ·
That was one of my #1 options, because i have Procomp XMT on there now, and have 44K miles on them, and i can prob get another 10-15k out of them. The XAT have a 40K mile tread wear warranty, and seem to be the only ones that do, but Discount tire is trying to talk me out of it, because the tread is directional, and you cant rotate like you should. I just want a good, long lasting ALL TERRAIN tire, that is quiet, but agressive enough too....

#31 ·
So i was looking into the Nitto Terra Grapplers, 355/60/20 (37 inch), They are a D rated tire, and max PSI is 50. How are you guys running D rated tires? Do you leave it at 50? I know most run E rated, with 70PSI up front, and 55PSI in the back.

#33 ·
Some D rated tires take more psi that some E rated and hold more weight to boot. My BFG Ds are rated up to 80 psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.