Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone ever lower a 4x4

21K views 153 replies 31 participants last post by  NathanScott 
#1 ·
I know everyone will think I am nuts but I like my pickups a little lower than normal. How low can you go with a 4x4 CCSB without airbags or major suspension surgery? What would be the best way to do it? Should get better MPG too. Just a thought. :ford:

#2 ·
There should be some threads around here about it....surely someone will dig em up...we had a few going a while back.

Basically 5.4 springs will fit in the front and give you about a 2" drop...thats all you can do before you end up with clearance issues from the frame/axle...and the rear you can remove the stock block, and the bottom leaf..should lower you about 3" or so.

I am doing mine right now...taking it down from a 20" air bag setup and 44s...hope to have it done by Tuesday.

#3 ·
Check with Truck Toyz Performance. They've got a nice kit to do it that I'll be checking out when/if I ever get my truck back. I believe there's a thread or two in their sponsor section.

#8 ·
Its for SALE super cheap..about 1/3 of price....I have not made a thread here though.

$3500 for the lift, transfer case indexing ring, new trans cross member, brakelines (braided, color matched) tanks, compressor, properly valved FOX shocks (14" travel) upgraded heavy duty track bar and drag link..etc.

I think I have the wheels and tires sold here.

Heres a pic of the front with all the upgraded steering stuff.

Buy it....you know you want it...the front end parts are about $1000 just themselves. Theres just under $5K miles on it all.

#13 ·
I bought 22" wheels with a +18 offset...so they are near stock...I am gonna start with cutting a set of stock springs...since I have 2 sets now..and if I dont like it I am going to go 5.4 gasser 2wd springs like you....wonder how much to cut off the stockers???

In the rear I am hoping I can go no block and even remove the bottom leaf..I will use air bags when I want to tow my wheelers.
305/45/22 tires

#15 ·
I didnt think about taking a rear leaf out, but i was for sure going to run air bags as well.

I was going to cut 2 coils out of a set of stockers to see how it looked before i bought 2wd springs like you are saying as well. Only problem is my wheels at this point, going to look like a fukin low rider ****** ride untill i can tuck some wheels in closer...

#25 ·
Fwiw my buddies 450 was breaking cords every couple thousand on the front, granted a 450 weighs a little more than our trucks, but the tires were rated for 2550 if I remember right, they weren't a very high quality tire either, I think you'll be ok just be sketchy towing

#27 ·
So to me it sounds like the best thing to do is the 2wd diesel front srings and take the blocks out of the rear for a 2 inch lower. Should I change to 2wd shocks as well. Then if I put 32 inch tall tires on I will be at 4.5 inches lower than I am now, should get the front air dam 4.5 inches closer to the ground and get 25mpg then huh. :pointlaugh:

#28 ·
I would think that 2wd shocks dampening may be too soft. 4wd trucks have a lot of weight to dampen when that axle starts moving. Some high quality ones may work.

#30 ·
:whs: I bet when you guys get these dialed in they should handle nicely.

#31 ·
BAM!!!!

Just waiting on my wheels and tires...hope I have everything done by the weekend...airdam is only 10.5" off the ground...so I think its down pretty low.

FYI...I would not cut 2 coils off the stock springs....I cut 1.5 off and its sitting on its nuts...

Last week I got pulled over by DPS for being too tall...54" is the headlight limit...mine were at 62" in the middle...today...they are at 32"...LMAO

#32 ·
Man that looks good! :rockwoot: I wish it was that easy to get an '04 4x4 that low. :(

#38 ·
Damn, have to give you credit. You don't f' around when you decide to do something. Sweet! Should look good if you get those huge wheels and tires on it.

#40 ·
whats the easiest way to lower the rear on a stock fx4? different block? if so which one? i cant decide to either put a 2 inch coil spacer in the front or lower the rear 2 inches....

#41 ·
Thanks guys....it was some WORK getting that lift off and the truck down that low without having a 2 post lift to work off of...lmao...

In the rear...for now....I removed the bottom leaf the big thick one, but kept the block...basically cause I only had stock u bolts at my disposal, and without the block the u bolts were too long...so I am going to see how it rides like this..but I will probably end up putting the leaf back in and taking the block out...right now it sits pretty level.

I have to install the shocks tomorrow,drop the tank and re install my rear sway bar, front sway bar, put the nuts on the bolts for the leafs, and the radius arms...tighten the drag link, center the axle and I think its about ready to roll.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.