Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

American Ride takes a whoopin

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ParkerFly 
#1 ·
Guy took the truck out to two pulls with weekend. Took 4th at one hook and last at the other one. I think guy is happy with the 4th place pull as first was Kusilek's Cummins Killer and second was anther good running open drive train truck. The big worry is the second day with the last place finish. There was only 5 trucks and they are all good runners. Getting last wasn't so much the issue it was the distances. The other 4 trucks all pulled like 304 to 309 range or something and the American Ride pulled like 280. For what every reason it just couldn't grab the track. I watch the video and swear some thing has to be broke. It shouldn't be able to sit on the rev limiter the whole pull. I was not at the pulls so I have only seen the videos so far. Have to figure out what went wrong in the second day.

#3 ·
The motor has always done that popping. I don't know the reason, I have a couple theories but no proof. Once the ECT reaches 190 it won't do it. 189 or less and it will pop. It also won't rev over 3000 or so rpms. He fills the intercooler vat with ice then it is shut off until it drives onto the track. Sometimes the ice is added to soon and it has to sit longer the expected.

The issue I was referring to was why it couldn't get any traction in the second video. It had to only have 3 tires pulling but I can't tell from the video. It pulled left right off the starting line so that would indicate a non-spinning left wheel. Guy thinks it was from the left side being in mud.

#4 ·
How's the clutch feel?

My 6.4L runs best on the 2nd pass at the track, if the engine is a little cold.

The CR trucks definitely run better when warmed up. There's a little defueling when it's stone cold in the programming, but once slightly warmed up it's full fuel. Just having the cylinders warmed up for a complete burn is part of it.

#7 ·
I dont think anything is broke just "bad" luck. The dully truck that pulled ahead of me in the video dropped alot of water out of his ice to water intercooler as he was backin up to the sled to pull. When i lined up to pull i was to the right about 4ft farther than the dully, which put my left side right in the middle where it was wet. I believe my biggest problem was i couldnt get any traction, and that is why the truck ran on the revlimiter the whole time. We plan on changing a few small things this week...and test them over the weekend. I still have aways to go to compete with the big guys at Scheid's in a couple weeks. For being one of the only 6.4s competing at this level I'm very happy with where we've gotten so far. I'd like to thank everyone thats helped me get here. Especially to Jeremy "lubeowner" for his wisdom and building the duelfueller, Eric at Innovative for the tuning, and all you readers for your support. Thank you, Guy

#15 ·
LOL i just cant tell by the vid man, you guys went from winning one week to loosing the next, just how things go, Im sure you guys will get it figured, What type of tire seems to win pulls in your area? Im really suprised i dont see STS's, or ATZs or a BFG all terrain on that truck, not that your tire isnt working well, i just wonder if you are leaving some on the table.

#16 ·
It has bfg at's on the back. The front tire is a little more aggressive for a little more traction. The thing is this truck has always hooked very well. Even on a couple really bad (loose) tracks this trucks has been good. The truck has been out powered but I don't think traction as ever been an issue until this hook.

#18 ·
I highly doubt you will find one tire that fits all tracks. Like in motocross, changing from hard pack, intermediate to sand tires per track is a must at a pro level.

I would have a wheel / tire combo for more hard pack / clay tracks and another set for loose terrain tracks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.