Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HD Shoot out!

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  lead foot 
#1 ·
2010 HD Best Overall One-Ton Diesel Truck (DRW) - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

The best overall HD rig in the three-quarter-ton diesel category is the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. Though its interior isn’t up to par in quality and materials with the latest from Ford and Chrysler, the Chevy’s combination of the powerful Duramax diesel, all-new frame and suspension and excellent fuel economy put it ahead of the Ford and Ram trucks. It’s possible that if we’d had a Super Duty with the new 400/800 power ratings, it could have beaten the Chevy on performance but that wouldn’t have changed the way we feel about the Silverado’s ride and handling and steering characteristics, which we now think are the benchmarks in the segment, followed closely by the Ram.

:bowfast: :ford: Just So Ya Know :D

#2 ·
I know it has been brought up a million times on here that the new 6r140's ratios were going to compensate for the higher rear end ratios, but it looks like it cost Ford some ground on the 3/4 ton diesel shootout. The dually shootout was much more close with the Ford and Gm both running 3.73's. Who knows, just talking out loud.

#5 ·
Like it says,All Three are Great trucks now a dayz!

just depends on your taste in Trucks, That Cummins really held it's Ground i felt Specialy for only 350/650

and you will see Dodge at the Top in any Truck pulls ,that Cummins is nothing to Dis...

They can put 12,000 HP in the GM and i will still go for the Ford with SFA!
i can Get the ride I want by adjusting the air pressure :~) Plenty of air In 37/38 or 40" tires LOL

I Would have loved to see the numbers had they been able to get the new tune for the 6.7 400/800...

but as said they FORD needs to Address the traction Issues.... all the power in the world isn't gonna do ya no good without control !!!

#6 ·
Their testing concluded before the 400/800 Ford was being talked about. The GMs definitely do the most work controlling the newfound power, suspension-wise.

You are right though, they are all good choices these days. Not really a "crap" product out there. Of course, you pay for these new, state-of-the-art diesels :doh: Dodge gets the nod there though, slightly.

#7 ·
They Knew about the new 400/800 tune but no one can get it till the end of this month as we all Know, To bad ,But like they said later other testers will test with the new tune and maybe by then Ford will have this Traction control Under control LOL

More Power isn't Fords problem right now from what all i have read, Traction Control on take-off Is!

The First Reviews i read said the Same thing they had two Duallys hooked to Wheel-loaders,and the trucks spun and bounced on take-off,they said the trick was to feather the throttle to get a decent take-off ....

#11 ·
I highly doubt the 400/800 'reflash' for the 6.7 would have changed the performance-tests outcome at all.

It looks like a lot more "on paper", but when you do the "real world math" and calculate/plot out the hp/torque curves, an extra 35 ft lbs and 3hp is basically nothing.

Personally I would have been more interested if they had done the tests with the traction/stability control off. There were some acceleration tests in the shoot-out where the GM clearly just had more power available, but other tests it looks like it would have been a draw if ford had a better traction/stability control system. Or if they had just switched it off.

But then again on the other hand, I dont really blame them for testing with the systems ON. The trucks ARE intended by the manufacturer and SHOULD give the best possible performance with all systems enabled......isnt that the point of those systems in the first place??

I kind of expected this though; In ford's defense, GM has an extra 2 years of experience with designing and calibrating Heavy Duty pickup-truck stability/traction/rollover control systems. (Stabilitrak first became available on the 2009 duramax and gasser HD's)

JMO....

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.