Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Good Ole Wix Filters......

10K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  salprofish 
#1 ·
So after trying to narrow a few things down today trying to chase down a check engine light I checked the Fuel filter.... Mind you I put this in the truck at 125,238 miles and it now has 129,877. This is what it looked like:

This is what was between the pleats on the inside and i have no idea what it is....

Needless to say I will never run anything WIX in my truck again, the filter practically came apart and the bottom of the fuel bowl had a good 1/4'' of trash in it....

Just hope nothing got past the filter and got into the injectors...

See less See more
#3 ·
Thats it though.. I have a pre pump filter thats a water seperator that gets changed EVERY oil change and i drained it today as well and there wasnt a DROP of water in that thing.

The blk stuff was kinda gummy though

#4 ·
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

im glad to pay the extra $ for the raecore (sp)....

and ive had JUNK in my fuel system... dam fuel station's in the middle of no where with waterdiesel.

#5 ·
Well i bought a motorcraft filter today for now... Ill have to just keep my eye on it and see if anything else turns up

#8 ·
deffinately looks like the "algea" that grows in a diesel tank when moisture gets in there. I think you need to treat your tank with some sort of bioside like hammerdown or biobore. Thats nasty and i dont think its the filters fault, i think its the fault of the water in the diesel fuel your trin to run through your truck....

#10 ·
It looks to me that the filter did stop most of it... What kinda T'ed me off is that the filter came apart.... How it looks on the table is how it came out the truck... In pieces.

#12 ·
Yea im gonna keep an eye on that filter and a few other things...

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replys..

What causes algea build up??

I run alot of fuel through my truck, i fill up at the same spot 9 out of 10 times, I always run an additive, and always change my filters regularly..... So what gives???

#26 ·
It came on once this morning. but it hasnt come on since...

Looks like its time to go ahead and drop the tank and give it a good cleaning.

Oh, mine as well install a TSD Sump while your there.... :D

And as I told you before, delete that damn fuel bowl and run some real filters on the frame rail. :poke:
Yea yea yea... Its a coming thing... The bowl will be gone soon enough

Ive been running WIX filters for over a million miles on my 7.3's and have never had any failures other then a lid...

Other then a Donaldson every now and then its all I run...
My dad has always ran wix as well and never had a problem

Wow... LOL I've never seen someone misspell someone else's "Jarrett" name and make it into my name! LOL I'm the only Jeret I've ever met. :D
yea and there is alot of different ways to spell it too....

#17 ·
I didn't drive it too much after I changed that but I did start it and let it run for a good while and no light came on. I'll find out here shortly when I go to work.

#18 ·
Holy chit Jeret. You definately have an algae issue.

#20 ·
I bought my truck in June and the dealership (GM place), installed new Napa Wix oil and fuel filters. Ive opened up the fuel bowl to inspect mine and it also had a lot of that black crap in the bowl. Now I understand what the black stuff is. Ive got to get those out and get some Racors or Motorcrafts!

#21 ·
Ive been running WIX filters for over a million miles on my 7.3's and have never had any failures other then a lid...

Other then a Donaldson every now and then its all I run...

#22 ·
:whs:

Just not on 7.3's, but I have run WIX filters on every vehicle I have owned, never let me down.

#28 ·
Do you have some source material we can take a look at?

#24 ·
If you only knew how bad the quality of diesel is where you are, you would probably sale your truck Jarret. It's terrible man. I would drain tank, drop tank and clean. Better to do it now and be safe before you risk it and end up with injector failure(s).

#27 ·
wix filters+6.0s= bad news,after seeing this i wont take the chance with putting them in my 7.3,tsd sump,fuel lab and baldwins coming soon bye bye bowl...

#29 ·
I am fighting the same issue as you except its on a class 8 truck.

I surmised the truck I am driving sat for awhile and the fuel was left untreated. Let me tell you left unattended this will make operation of your ride a total b!tch.
Never ever in my 15 yrs of driving trucks have I had a truck get crippled so bad it would not pull in the lower gears. I have spare filters now and am treating my 250 gallons with a cleaner from power service, so far soo good.

#31 ·
my father in law runs wix in his 6.0 and has never had one glitch of a problem.

#32 ·
Your father in law may never have a problem with them either. Some people like Wix. But, like the Wix fuel filter on the primary one, it does not even have the water seperator membrane on the filter. Water can just pass right thru it with the fuel and when you drain your water seperator, nothing will show up because it went thru the fuel system.

#33 ·
I'm using AFe's in my truck, oil and fuel... Need to change my fuel filter again this oilchange.

That definitely looks like "dieselanimals" or the bacteria that grows in water contaminated diesel.. I'd try and get something in there to kill it, or drop the tank etc.

#35 ·
I normally change the one in my engine everyother oil change and the one i added on the frame every oil change..

The fuel filter, i dont think, had anything to do with the check engine light.... I was in route on a 3hr trip when the truck started shuttering and acting up real bad. I have a buddy that is a ford tech at a rather larger dealership and i gave him a call to see if he would scan it for me. He goes by SootRoller on here. It turned out it was the ICP sensor. I was ready to head to the parts dept and get one and he ended up taking the one off of his heads on his spare 7.3 and give it to me......... So far so good. It runs way better and now Matts tunes seem to be doing much better than they was...

** Im not blaming anything on Matt... I was thinking the HPOP was getting weak bc the tunes was getting super smokey and didnt have the power that they did at first...

#38 ·
I dont know if that was a wix filter in the op's pics but it did its job. It fell apart because it was over its service range(im not questioning the op's service practices) and fell apart. Ive never used wix filters. Unless thats what carquest sells as a premium filter...You need a algaecide for diesel fuel. Id still drop the tank then re-fill and run the algaecide to clean all else out. You got some old fuel that was allowed to de-stabilize and harbor organisms.

#39 ·
and another thing that kinda has me at a lost is that i dropped my pre pump filter and it was spotless... No blk stuff, no water, nothing... It literally looked brand new... So i dont think that blk stuff was algae from my tank bc if it was it would have been in both filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.