Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

IDI TO PSD Questions...

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Cat_Rebel 
#1 ·
Ok, I have a 93 Ford F-250 4x4 IDI Diesel, Ive been contemplating selling the truck for some time, but Id hate to see the truck go. The old IDI have been well used but has its share of "upgrades" including new "turbo diesel" injectors, ATS Turbo, and so on.

That being said, my truck has a recently rebuild E40D Auto in it, would this trans work with a Powerstroke? I figure it would require a new PCM to go along with the Powerstroke.

Also, what else would have to be swapped with a stroker motor to make it work in my truck?

#6 ·
LOL

I looked into do this on my 93, the trucks are the same. You'll need a motor, wiring harness, inst cluster, PCM, IDM, & a couple other things. There is a diffrence inside the trannys but i believe they will work, you will need a 6 lug converter since the IDI is a 4 lug & a diffrent flex plate.

I know there are other things I'm forgetting.....

#10 ·
did you want a 6.0 or 7.3 for it? there is a 6.0 up around pittsburg with low compression in cylinder 4 for 800 dollars....

#15 ·
god what did i post last time lol. i meant do you want to sell your turbo kit cheap haha.

#17 ·
well, you kinda need to figure out a direction first as to year with the 7.3
and as far as the list of things to look for or be aware of follows

`AC lines might need to mated (I have heard something like 100-150$ for the cummins conversions)

`your factory guages should work if you have some knoledge on wiring

`cruise control might have to be re-wired (just take it all off the 7.3 truck)

`you'll need new motor mounts (300$)

`maybe a tach kit

if you had a donor truck it would be better because you could rob so many needed parts starters oil coolers ect. then just scrap the truck or try to part it out would be my guess, good luck

#18 ·
well, you kinda need to figure out a direction first as to year with the 7.3
and as far as the list of things to look for or be aware of follows

`AC lines might need to mated (I have heard something like 100-150$ for the cummins conversions)

`your factory guages should work if you have some knoledge on wiring Just swap the whole dash & eliminate the room for error, you can find one out of a wrecked truck cheap enough.

`cruise control might have to be re-wired (just take it all off the 7.3 truck) Cruise is a diffrent setup, the collum is the same but the wiring is diffrent.

`you'll need new motor mounts (300$) No you don't, 7.3L IDI & 7.3L PSD use the same mounts.

`maybe a tach kit That's part of the PSD harness, it reads off the CPS.

if you had a donor truck it would be better because you could rob so many needed parts starters oil coolers ect. then just scrap the truck or try to part it out would be my guess, good luck
Going to need a 95-97 plastic tank radiater unless you happen to find a 94.5 PSD. That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.