Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Truck plates in IL

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tree trimmer 
#1 ·
In IL it is common for a dealership or even The Sec. of State's office to issue a 'b' plate for any vehicle with a truck body, esp 3/4tons and smaller. I took the business name off my 2000 f250 sd psd and 'sold' it to my wife. She went to the dmv and got plates for 'her' truck. When they came in the mail they were b plates. I assumed that b's must be good for trucks under 8800 gvwr. A member on this site brought it to my attention that I can NOT run this plate and in fact it is illegal. The law was changed in 06 and apparently it is up to the end user to SPECIFY what plates they want/need.

8k#'s is the max that one can have as a posted gvwr on a b plate. If you are pulled over a common practice is to weigh the truck and if the truck is under that weight you'll be given a citation for improper equipment. The other possibility is an improper registration, overweight fines(cash bond $/lb that you are over:eek:), as well as anything else related to being registered wrong or overweight, including but not limited to fines for being uninspected by a licensed truck safety insp.

Sounds like a ticket trap, $$ maker, and illegal for the state to do. I see more 3/4 tons with b plates than d's. :shrug:

#3 ·
@sixOH-I too am going to be running my b plate for a while unless they'll let me upgrade to a d(highly friggin doubt it). Dealerships and the Sec of State in IL shouldnt be providing something that is illegal or makes a vehicle that way. I assumed somebody downstate was checking this stuff before they issued the plates, hence the six weeks it takes to get plates.

Oh boy.....

#4 ·
i just got off the phone with the local DMV. if you have a 3/4 ton pickup, and put a B plate on it, if the gvw of the truck is say 8800lbs, you can only put 8k in it legally. even though the "truck" can handle more, the plate cannot. therefore you are limited by you plate, not your truck. and the fee for that is $100 ish. if you get a D plate it moves the gvw of the plate to 12k, to take full advantage of your truck legally, and its ability to pull trailer legally, you need a D plate. i payed 180 ish for mine. and you cannot get them personalized, its whatever your issued. but yes, you can run a B plate if yo uwant to, if you do anything commercial, for hire, etc etc, you need a D plate, and a inspection sticker

#7 ·
Are you in IL tree trimmer? There are a few people around here that are...I kinda knew and assumed what you(treetrimmer) are saying to be true. The only thing is a truck inspection cop will tell you what I posted at the top. I also heard there is a 1001 lb grace...which means that if you are pulled over in a 3/4 ton that is lifted and has bigger tires on it carrying four people and the truck weighs 9001lbs or less you PROBABLY wont get a ticket but a warning most likely. Another thing to keep in mind for those running a d plate if you're over 13k lbs you're treading on thinner, more expensive ice.

I understand how all this works on the technical side but how the Sec of State issues plates, especially to a business, that are inadequate is bordering on entrapment. THere should be more insight into what the vehicle will be doing. Whats another 80 dollars when you are buying a vehicle? Its cheaper than registration or overweight tickets.

#8 ·
yep in illinois, west side of state, 3 counties down from top, right edge of that county. and yep, im a tree trimmer. father owns the largest tree service within, ima guess, 50-60 miles, that we know of, prolly farther, we just dont venture that far....... less the moneys right.

#9 ·
Do tell! My co-workers girlfriend had tree trimmers at her parents house today and they dropped a 8'long by 32"dia chunk of tree throught the living room ceiling. They and the tree service are from Amboy, IL. Her dads the mayor of said town:doh:

That addition is only two years old and has to be torn off...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.