Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Brake Upgrade?

34K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Cumminpwr11 
#1 ·
Just bought an 04 CCSB fx4 PSD. I'm not happy with the brakes at all. Not nearly as good a feel as the 05's that I drove. Is there anyway to swap the calipers off of an 05 on to the 04?

#2 ·
power slots and hawk pads + ss brake lines or if u have 18's or bigger u can upgrade to the bigger f450-550 rotors and calipers

#7 ·
I keep hearing about this but have yet to see it.

#10 ·
I don't know how people are doing the f450-550 brake swap and keeping the 8 lug wheels without adapters or without re-drilling the rotors

#12 ·
found some answers I think, of course the information is all spread over the world and when you ask for it directly its never there, but wait a little while and it'll pop up somewhere else totally different LOL

Drilled and slotted rotors arent that great unless you use them for competition use and keep them hot, also they dont allow for gasses to escape from under the pad and can cause poor stoping, third drilling holes, adding dimples, ect takes away from how many square inches the pad contacts the rotor... if that makes sense, a standard rotor with a good pad is your best choice, i have been reading into these pads that use ceramic on one side and a metalic on the other, they are called Adaptive one pads, some guys swear by them on thier lightnings and tow rigs, thats what i was going to try...

I will have to look at my buddies 450 but i think the rotors are bigger, but still have the same 8 lug pattern, then they have an adapter that goes over that for the 10 bolt patern, i always wondered if they dually's had the same rotors as the 450s or not.

As far as upgraded calipers, such as from an f-450 you need to make sure that master cylinder is matched to them as well, if not your wasting your time.

Personally i would try a good pad, if it doesnt work, your not out that much money and then you can try something more extreme.
That post and some other talk/info on F450 brake conversions here, 6.4 brake upgrades - Powerstroke Nation

#13 ·
I just found this site on a google search and it comes up with specs sizes and fitment

Ford F-450 Super Duty Brake Rotor - 1999 - 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005

part CE120.65068 seems to be a good option 14.53" diameter in 8bolt!

the big trucks do have an option for 15.55" brakes but no 8bolt option.

the only problem I can see is the height is different, plus getting the right brackets for that rotor might be a PITA

#14 ·
Also checked the raybestos website, there is lots of info there, the 14.53" 8 bolt rotors are availble if you search under f350 and f450, same part number, but the f450 lists a different part number for the caliper (comes with bracket!) and the pads are also different according to EBC's website...

#15 ·
You uses 2004 F450 rotors they are 8 bolt then you use a 2005 caliper and bracket.

The place I saw this done was actually on a 550 front axle put in a 350. They had to swap out the 2005 550 unit bearings as they are HUGE sticking out a total of 10" further. You will notice 550s have a large fender flare to cover wheels.. SO to go 8 lug they swapped in a 350 unit bearing. Used a 2004 440 rotor and kept the 550 calipers and of course the bracket was there already.

Hope this helps some.

The only place I could see going to the swap is that the caliper bracket bolts up to the outers etc. I think its should but woudl be ease to find out with a quick look and a tape measure under a 2005 450-550 for the bracket pattern. Or pick one up at a salvage yard. I plan on doing this now that I have funds. Or may just go to a full 550 axle swap in as it will covert me over to coil from leafs as well along with the larger brakes and a improved turning radius. Not quite bolt in but not to bad as a couple people on here have already done 2005+ swap into 99-2004s

#16 ·
well i think i will bite the bullet on this upgrade and do it, the rotors are only $90 each for the 14.53" and the calipers with brackets i'm getting i price from raybestos tomorrow, then i'll go with F450 EBC pads front and stock f350 EBC rear pads, hopefully that makes a difference

I'm gonna guess the bolt pattern or offset is different between the 99-04 and 05+ f450-550 or where the bracket locates the caliper in relation to the rotor

#20 ·
The ONLY thing that woudl make this any different than a straight up p[art replacement is whether or not the caliper bracket bolts straight up. If it does all the pictures will show is how2 to replace a part but if you have to do modding the more pictures and details the better.

I will see if I can get into contact with the guys that did the full axle swap as they will know. Have to track down some phone numbers. I will post if I find anything out.

#21 ·
Ok I just did some checking and measuring it will not work. The caliper bracket attachment points are about 1.5" wider. Its a whole axle swap or nada for pre 05.

#23 ·
but it would work on 05+ trucks? are the calipers different too? if so whats the enter list of parts to change out, rotors, calipers, caliper mounting brackets and the master cylinder?

#22 ·
Or buy the 99-04 f450 calipers and bigger 8 bolt rotors for the pre 05 trucks

#25 ·
Tarm is right I just went to the parts store with my old 2000 f250 caliper brackets and all the f450 brake calipers have a wider bolt spacing for the mounting bracket

As for the rotors, if you check Raybestos website they list a 14.53" rotor for f350's and it says they are 8x170mm part number 66924R

so it seems like at the very least you need to do an f450 knuckle swap and then put the f250-f350 unit bearing/hub back into the f450 knuckle to keep the narrower offset...

#27 ·
HIJACK WARNING: I will create my own thread once I complete the conversion.

Just to clarify,
I am putting an 04 F550 front in my 99 F250 SRW. It appears to be a direct bolt-in. After unbolting the 10 lug wheel adapters, the hub bearing assembly bolt pattern matches my 8 on 170mm pattern wheels.

After removing the adapters I believe my front end will be about 2 to 2.5 inches wider on each side.

The front brakes are about 30 larger than my stock front brake calipers, (looking at overall piston chamber size), and the rears are approximately 50% larger than my stock rear calipers. This is a huge difference when you see the setup on the truck.
I have not completely figured out how to get those massive rears on my stock F250 SRW axle. I had initially planned on just having adapters made from the 10 lug rear hubs to my 8 on 170mm wheels and stuffing that huge Dana 135 under there. After looking at it for about 30 seconds, the error of my plan became painfully obvious. The center section alone on those large hubs is almost as big as the entire 8 lug bolt pattern in my wheels.
I would guess you could fab up an adapter plate that would go on the inside of the stock caliper mount on my F250 rear axle that would allow you to mount that F550 caliper, (because the mounting holes are much farther apart than my stock axle and because the caliper would need to be moved into the center of the axle to fit those F450 dually rotors). Then, I believe the F450 rotors should work, unless they are actually not the 8 on 170mm pattern, (as I suspected until I found my fronts to be 8 on 170mm).

My tentative plan,
1. fab adapter plate for F550 caliper to bolt to stock F250 axle
2. get F450 rotor and have it redrilled to 8 on 170mm

Does anyone want to build these adapters? I will provide any measurements you need. I am certain you could make some money selling these. I am willing to take any amount of pictures you could ever want for marketing materials as well.
Any thoughts?

#29 ·
Hmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.