Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Axle wrap fixin

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  SuperDutyDSG 
#1 ·
Hey guys i'm lookin to make or buy a trac bar or somethin like it. I've seen some stuff around from our venters but it noticed it all seemed to be real expensive. Is there another place i can pick somethin up or fabric something like it because axle wrap is annoying as hell! Right now i have a 4in Lift on my pickup it was on there when i bought it, and there is either 2 or 3 blocks on my axle if i remember correctly. I'm lookin to make it right so yeah let me know what you think.

Thanks for your input

#2 ·
Chappy on here made his own fabricating some brackets and using some 3 point upper arm links from tractor supply. He said he had like $100.00 into it.

#3 ·
you can get a pro comp kit comes with brackets and bushings then buy some pipe and weld it up,fairly cheap set of traction bars

#4 ·
yeh I made my own and so far they have worked great.got about a $100 into them and probably 4 hours labor.Heard good and bad about the tractor links but for the money even if they last me 2 years,I can get another set of just the ends for a lot less next time around.

#5 ·

This is what I tried to copy except I welded on tabs to the axle and used the tractor top links for bars.I see a lot of Duramaxs running these and they seemed to work great for them.I just made a big bracket to drop down farther then that on my front spring hanger and then braced it in back with some angle iron.

#9 ·
hey Chappy, while I respect that you did it yourself,...I hate to tell you...the reason only low budget builds use them...is because be prepared for those to fail....unless you welded the nuts/metal tab on them.

I've seen those joints used many many times....what happens is...over time(whether a week or a year)...the constant "push/pull" force on those weak threads, cause them to fail,...those threads are course thread(spaced too far apart) and they eventually will strip out ....and one day they WILL fail,..and you will "pogo stick" your truck.

welding them solid(no longer adjustable) is the only thing you can do to make them safe, and will save your life...and the lives of others on the road around you.

they are tractor parts for a reason....

#10 ·
The torque forces acting on traction bars are much higher than people think. The quality of components and workmanship and the design will determine the longevity of the system.

Paying more originally might be cheaper over the long haul than buying something cheaper.

#13 ·
doesn't look like they are adjustable so those would be out in my book.

#15 ·
but then to make mine last it looks like I might need to make them non adjustable.

#17 ·
Hey guys thanks for the input now just need to figure out what i'm gonna do bout it...i'd like to go with a more expensive setup but i need the money to be able to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.