Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

250 TO 350 SUSPENSION SWAP

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  u2slow 
#1 ·
My 250 currently has ttb. I want to change it to a solid front axle. While im at it im also going to upgrade to 350 leafs and shocks.

How hard is the ttb to solid axel swap? Could i simply unbolt the leafs, drive shaft, shocks, and brake lines from the donor truck, roll out the hole assembly and bolt it to my truck? Do the brackets from the ttb need to be removed from my truck or will they be out of the way?

Thanks in advance guys

#3 ·
ditto, but yes, you need to remove the ttb center brackets and bolt in the trac bar bracket that flowmasters40 mentioned. Also get the sway bar, links, and sway bar brackets, our fuel lines are even bent to clear the sway bar bracket on driver's side frame rail.

Justin

#5 ·
It is that easy. The TTB will fall out in 3 heavy hard to move pieces. Try and get something big to set it on and move it out.

#6 ·
Best option is using a RS kit and SD springs..all that work you do want to improve the ride quality..nows the time. PM me if I can help.

Cary

#7 ·
Ride quality really isnt an issue. its a truck and thats how it rides. Im looking for weight capacity, and less maintenance down the road. It also doesnt help that money is tight right now and i can get everything i need from a buddy for dirt cheap. thanks for the thought though.

#8 ·
#11 ·
The swaybar might be nice with stock springs... wouldn't call it necessary. I had one link snap so I ditched the whole thing.

Your calipers should swap right over to the D60, so you may not even need to open up the brake plumbing during the swap.

#15 ·
250 front springs are tougher than 350's

only upgrade for our front suspension is super duty v code springs for the front, which requires some mount moving.

#17 ·
Put some 350 springs on a TTB axle and watch it fail.

End story.

The 250 springs are heavier and beefier than the 350 springs. They have to take more twists and punishment then the 350 springs holding up the d60.

The lazy shape comes from the fatigue of the springs after a while, hence the helper spring fix for the 250 fronts.

The 350 springs are designed for a solid axle.
You don't have to swap the 350 springs in on the swap, but if your axle comes with the springs. I'd swap them in, but I woudlnt' go out of my way to get 350 springs for the swap, because if you are going to that point, you should just put in some V-code springs.

#18 ·
If you can afford it do the shackle reversal kit and source some SD springs. Then you are just doing it once......Leaving the 250 springs on (with D60) will provide for a very harsh ride and in the end you will want to install the rsk and sd springs. And yes it makes that much difference...

#19 ·
Since you are probably sourcing the D60 with the linkages and trac bar... you can most likely get the F350 spring tossed in for free. Then you get acceptable ride and the truck is levelled. Takes about 4 hours in the driveway with air tools to ditch the TTB and install the D60; then you're driving again.

Worry about the shackle reversal and everything else later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.