Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DT-360 Excursion Dragster

26K views 84 replies 40 participants last post by  08strokin 
#1 ·
Yep, that's right. Your eyes do not deceive you my friends. I have been getting things ready and researching for a while. Everyone has really responded well to Pipewhiner's conversion, and there are a few others in the works. Those I have told about this have requested me keep everyone updated so I am starting this thread as a place to ask and answer questions and show off the build as it progresses.

Ordered the parts for the conversion today and have a bunch to do. Still looking for a good motor, have found many but the goal for this build is 1300 at the wheels so I really don't want one that has multiple rebuilds on it. The crank, block, rods and head all need to be in very nice form for me to throw all this cash at it.

For those of you that know p-7100's I want to get someone to to tweak one out as far as it can go reasonably without larger plungers and barrels (I know very little about this pumo and am still learning so forgive my ignorance)

I am thinking about a Schied 13mm pump down the road for the full 1300 number (by the way, that would be on the gas, so 900 or so fuel only). I am also thinking about them for the rotaing assembly balancing and rod conditioning, piston coating. However I would rather give a sponsor the business so if any of you happen to read this and have the experience lets talk.

Bottom end work needed:
balance to 6k
18:1 compression bowl work, coat pistons top and sides
rod treatment
assemble pistons to rods
That should do it.

The head will have all the right valve train, pushrods, springs ect. and will be ported.

Turbo's will be (as of right now) a gt55 feeding a gt45r. Seems to work for Dmitri so I thought I would try them, I am hoping the ball bearing spools faster than his does though.

Lots of NOS with a progressive controller.

Have a water to air system that I am trying out as well, running as a stand alone system that can also be series with a tank full of ice water if needed. This will be driven by a Moroso belt driven unit.

I think that is all I have for right now. I will keep the updates coming as I get things done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hell of a layout plan. Be bitchin to see this truck once its done.

#4 ·
I have yet to contact Hmax, I didn't see the fire ring kit on their site so I thought I would do a little more research before i called them for a quote. I might have them do the bottom end balancing but we will see. I might even go up there and talk to them next time I go home. You are talking about dual feed p pump right.... I have been reading up and I have heard it both ways, but I see the logic in dual feed because that amount of draw could lean out the front and burn it up easy.
I was also thinking around 5x20 5x22. That seems to be the range that the c guys run around that HP range. Problem is if you ask you get ten thousand different answers. Ranging from the complete lie to 40 different ways to do it on a 12 valve. Either way I know that this will not be a one shot deal so I might have to try a few different things to get there. But half the fun is getting there.

#5 ·
Just the idea sounds awesome. Do you have an excursion ready for this transplant?

#6 ·
Yes. I have been racing it with a 7.3 for 2 years now at local stuff with limited mods. Decided I wanted to take it up a few notches. Was planning on a 6.4 for the longest time but this is just cooler and less money, at least it was in my head....
The interior is being gutted to fab up the cage right now while I put new injectors in the 7.3 that is in it right now. Have to do a lot of suspension work as well. I want linked up front with something that can handle a few hundred more pounds weight. I don't like the way it fights at the line right now, let alone what crazieness will happen with more weight and alot more power.

#7 ·
A dt360 is in my future as well, nice to see another build log!

I always thought a mid-engined excursion would be pretty sick...put a firewall right behind the driver seat then slap a DT466(540?) or something bigger back there and run a 4x4 drag setup!

#10 ·
I really didn't want to hype it at all until I was absolutely sure everything was going to work well. But, I discovered that I needed more help and information than I could get from just those who I already knew. So in an effort to get all the info I could I started this and a few other threads. Thanks for the offer brother, I might just need the help!

#14 ·
I was getting the truck ready to go get the motor last night and one of those new camaro's pulled up next to me. I could tell he wanted to get in front of me and of course the stupid teenager in me came out. I nailed it and broke something loose. So now I have to put off getting the long block until I fix this urgh!

#18 ·
I think I finally decided what to do with the back end to keep me in super street. 2-3 weeks for delivery, not really all the special but I can't wait to get some pics when the first part is done!!!! I got some of those Ballistic Fab 7075 t6 aluminum links and my 1.25 hiems for some sweet looking traction bars. That way they are stupid strong and really light as well.

#19 ·
This is going to be so awesome a drag racing excursion. Glad some one is doing this to an excursion instead of anther 250 or 350.

#25 ·
Motor is here (finally).

Money was refunded for suspension, ordering new stuff mid this month.

Driving me nuts not driving my truck, should have it rolling by feb. Motor will be delayed still, but I would rather it be done right then thrown together.

#26 ·
Any updates?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.