Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Price for installing posi

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  urbanwheeler 
#1 ·
From all the help i have from thr PSN members, i have decided to put a Detroit True Trac in the dana 60 frt diff of my 02 F250(first) then i'll do the rear one later....as i am in a smaller town, i was wondering what is a fair price is to have it installed? I know prices differ around the U.S.....but just some prices that have been done recently..Don't have the tools needed to do it correctly myself...thanks for ALL the help...rsbhunter

#2 ·
to do that job i would usually charge $150 with it being in the front end. $100 for a rear end.

#3 ·
$150 to pull the axle shafts on a front axle and install a new carrier? That's cheap. With the shims going inside the carrier bearings on the D60 its a pain, especially with the process of pulling the axle shafts. I would have gone with a selectable locker in the front as well. On icy roads you want an open differential in the front, even a LS can get tricky.

#4 ·
Yeah, that's too cheap. It should cost about the same as having gears swapped so 750$ isn't out of line.

#6 ·
had my true trac put in my 60 at the local ford dealer a few monthes back. the entire axle was laying on a trailer and it was completly gutted and cleaned, and i supplied all the parts. they charged 173.25 to put the true trac in and set the gears. pretty cheap i think.:ford:

#7 ·
i wouldn charge too much, gettin the carrier out usually aint too bad and if you have setup bearings and use new bearing on the true trac. i would say less than $400. but i would def do a rear end for $100.

#8 ·
i charge $350 for a full gear swap. it doesn't take that long to do. if you know what you are doing you should only have to change the backlash/carrier pre-load once if its not correct the first time. if you have setup bearings it is very fast. i also have a case spreader and a professional bearing puller.

considering it takes about 5 hours to set gears in a front end and 4 for a rear end. i wouldn't be able to justify charging a customer $1500.

#10 ·
You don't need a case spreader. I would install the bearings and put it in the housing and adjust shims to get the carrier preload. Then, install the ring gear, reinstall and adjust shims side to side to maintain preload and get the correct backlash. Last step, check the gear mesh pattern at three points around the ring gear just to verify everything is good.

#11 ·
yep, :whs:. you dont need a case spreader. i only use it when i am doing diffs on the rack. otherwise it is just too big to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.