Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Added DEF fluid to my vacation checklist

4K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  Rob02F350 
#1 ·
My truck has just over 2000 miles on it and I happened to check the information screen for DEF fluid and it said below half. I went to the local Ford dealer and purchased 2 x 2.5 gallon jugs and my truck took a little over 2 gallons to fill. I'm glad I thought to check, I'm headed to Colorado from Texas and will probably put another 2k miles on the trip. I would have hated to get stranded.

#3 ·
Truck will run without it, but once you shut it off it will not restart

#6 ·
if you can, buy it from a larger dealer, IE, Peterbilt, Kenworth, Mack, etc. they buy it in larger quantities and probably would have a cheaper price and or larger package deals on it.

#8 ·
once the DEF is below 100 miles to empty the truck will be limited to just 55mph. Once empty and the truck comes to a complete stop the engine will only idle. I just finished 6.7 training this week and we spent quit a bit of time talking about how the Selective Catalyst Reduction system works

#15 ·
Can you tell me where to find the screen for the dpf tank level. The main owner of the company is asking me and I have no idea.(I dont have one yet) He said when he started the truck it said 200 miles to empty, he added 2.5 gallons and now it says 800 miles to empty. He thought he would get more miles for 2.5 gallons. Is there a reset like your mpg?

#20 ·
Volkswagens that use the DEF will not even start if you keep driving the car after it has run out. I think you get something like 7 starts after it's empty, but the 8th try it WILL NOT start, and needs to be towed.

The idea is to make sure you are running the stuff!

Just delete it though!

#23 ·
What happens if you fill the DEF tank with diesel in a pinch

#26 ·
OK. I was just wondering as they used to use diesel to clean the DPF, so I thought you could use it in a pinch. Thanks for clearing that up.

#27 ·
got to go with Adam on this one, you have plenty of warning so running out is pretty lame. doesn't take much effort to stop somewheres and buy a jug even if you just throw it in the back until you're empty. course we don't run our fuel tanks right dry so why would we want run the DEF dry either?

#28 ·
if you put anything but DEF in the DEF tank. Expect a HUGE bill.

a "memo" type of thing Ive seen floating around, if diesel fuel contaminates the DEF system, expect to replace every component in the system. Customer pay. 0% covered by warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.