Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ceramic Coating Turbo Housing

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bill4d 
#1 ·
What are the benefits of ceramic coating the turbo housing?

Is it worth while to do?

What temperature rating would a coating need to have to survive on the turbo housing?

#6 ·
How much should one expect to pay for coating the uppipes, exhaust housing and downpipe?

From what I've been told, and read, even high temp powder coating won't hold up to what the uppipes see temperature wise.

#7 ·
Powder coating LOL

Advantages I've seen of coating past housings is that you get to watch it chip off slowly. But I was a couple hundred deg hotter than the rating. I just got my headers done 2000* this time, and up pipes too. I hope this time I won't he wrapping the egt gauge daily with my new setup. For as little as it cost, prevents rust and looks good if no actual perfomance is felt.

#10 ·
Mine was done too, was a nice shiny black... now its a nice dull gray. But no rust!

#14 ·
On a turbo system, the retention of heat is one of the more important parts of making the turbo work to maximum efficiency.

One of the biggest problems of coating of all of the hot section of the exhaust path in a turbo system is getting the right product on the part, There are many different coatings, but if the part is not properly prepared, cleaned, proper mil thickness applied and bake, you will have flacking or pealing.

If you want the most efficient system, the ideal turbo system will have ceramic coatings from the pistons, combustion chamber, exhaust port, exhaust manifold, any up pipes, exhaust wheel, turbo exhaust housing, and everything after the turbo. That is the ideal system. Cost, I would say between $1000.00 to $1750.00. For that price what will you gain, somewhere between 1 and 4 %.

Retaining the heat, keeping the flow pattern of the exhaust charge organized and then dealing with the magic exhaust signal are important. What I see in most of the big horsepower trucks is bigger is always better. If a little fuel is great, a lot of fuel is fantastic. Wrong thinking.

JonFord

#15 ·
On a turbo system, the retention of heat is one of the more important parts of making the turbo work to maximum efficiency.

One of the biggest problems of coating of all of the hot section of the exhaust path in a turbo system is getting the right product on the part, There are many different coatings, but if the part is not properly prepared, cleaned, proper mil thickness applied and bake, you will have flacking or pealing.

If you want the most efficient system, the ideal turbo system will have ceramic coatings from the pistons, combustion chamber, exhaust port, exhaust manifold, any up pipes, exhaust wheel, turbo exhaust housing, and everything after the turbo. That is the ideal system. Cost, I would say between $1000.00 to $1750.00. For that price what will you gain, somewhere between 1 and 4 %.

Retaining the heat, keeping the flow pattern of the exhaust charge organized and then dealing with the magic exhaust signal are important. What I see in most of the big horsepower trucks is bigger is always better. If a little fuel is great, a lot of fuel is fantastic. Wrong thinking.

JonFord
:whs:

Ahhhhhhh.
Finally a refresshing, intelligent view on how to improve performance the right way. Too many guys just want to throw more fuel in the engine and watch it go right out the back, as smoke. Wanting more power is fine, but achieving it in an efficient manner is ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.