Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Heads Off, Machine work

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Prew32 
#1 ·
matt (motoxracer) is doing studs on my truck here very soon and I have been calling a few different machine shops to get prices on getting the heads done. What has everyone been paying for all the machine work??

#5 ·
My total machine shop bill was 2300....but that included checking out 2 sets of heads, assembling two good heads, new valves, springs checking for cracks and decking..... Now that I think about it that price also included hot tanking the block, boreing out one hole, a oversized piston and ring kit plus new bearings for the rods and mains and maybe some other stuff.

#6 ·
matt (motoxracer) is doing studs on my truck here very soon and I have been calling a few different machine shops to get prices on getting the heads done. What has everyone been paying for all the machine work??
You sure you trust him? :poke:

I keed :D Matt (obviously) know's his 6leakers. So did you blow a gasket or doing it to be safe before you do?

#7 ·
You sure you trust him? :poke:

I keed :D Matt (obviously) know's his 6leakers. So did you blow a gasket or doing it to be safe before you do?
This coming from the one who forgot turbo bolts and almost killed himself dropping his turbo on himself? Yeah.....:pointlaugh:

JK :D

#10 ·
Since you are asking for "Getting them done", and "All the machine work"...
I have had two different sets of heads done within two years...original set that were on the engine were no good...cracked all to hell, so the first expense was to find another good set. (Read: non-cracked)
$600.00 later, I found a set...then the machining began. New guides, hardened seats installed on all the exhaust seats, multi angle valve job, resurface, valves were back cut...ended up at close to $2000.00

Two years later, pull engine apart to do a bigger build up, and found that one of the heads were cracked again...the shop got as far as installing new brass liner guides into the other head, and when they went to do the valve job, the seats in the exhaust started to turn in the head...so...had to find another set of goo heads, (Read: non-cracked.)
$650.. + shipping later...I had another set redone...new brass liner guides, all valves back cut, multi angle valve job, resurfaced, beehive springs:blah::blah::blah:
Almost $1100.00 that time...and I supplied the springs, so that cost isn't in there either.

#11 ·
I got a quote for $250 for the basic cleaning, pressure testing, checking for cracks and machining the head for flatness. One shop said the price could climb upwards of $1100 if the valve seats need to be replaced and new valve guides

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.