Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anybody wanna buy a 6.4?

6K views 51 replies 21 participants last post by  Matt_P 
#1 ·
Cause I am beyond fed up with this truck. Lets just say today wasnt the best day to start with and coming home from work and unloading all my tools from the truck then parking it and having this happen just really ended the day off on a great note:pointlaugh:

The amount of problem threads Ive made lately cause of this truck is astounding. My OBS broke waaaaay less than this truck has been and the main reason I bought a new truck was to avoid constant breakage. My truck was just at the dealer getting fixed TWO F**KING DAYS AGO.

These threads can give background for those that dont know what has been going on the past two months. I think the truck has been in there for 6 of the last 8 weeks at various times.

Dying 6.4 among other things - Powerstroke Nation
Still not fixed!! - Powerstroke Nation
This is just pitiful work - Powerstroke Nation
Coolant Leak?? From where? - Powerstroke Nation

So yeah two days ago I had the coolant leak from the front of the engine, take it in and they replace the seal on the upper radiator hose.

Now my truck is bone stock right now. So today I get home from work like I said. When I pull around to park I get out of the truck and here what sounds like a bucket of water being dumped on the driveway. I look under the truck and coolant is just dumping out from the passenger side of the engine. Not the same place as the last leak

On top of that my squeaking that has been driving me insane randomly came back today and is worse than before!

Now I cant see coolant leaking from the top of the engine but it has coated my frame and is everywhere. I undid the cap to my degas bottle and it was not even pressurized. Looks like the truck is going to the dealer on a tow truck tomorrow.:(

Im so fed up with this, Im ready to just dump the truck.

Pics:

This amount on the ground happened in a manner of seconds

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry to hear about your continuing problems Matt. I really don't know what to tell you about what you should do. I guess thats the main reason why I stick with my two 7.3s, I always have a backup. That and the fact that they are both paid for.

I hope you get it figured out soon, hopefully Ford will make it right.

#5 ·
Thanks, yeah honestly right now I wish I had never bought this truck and kept my OBS set up the way it was. That thing would break but nowhere near as often as this truck is. Thats the main reason I bought a new truck. And atleast I could fix whatever broke on my OBS

I am really regretting quitting on that truck and getting a new one. I switched a truck that was paid for for one that I still have payments on and I have barely driven the past two months

WOW.......sorry to hear about your troubles....I am really frustrated with mine right now also.

Hope you get it all worked out soon
Thanks, yeah I hope so. Gonna go to the dealer tomorrow and talk with them and get the truck towed over there. Who knows what it is this time. I havent seen this much coolant leak since I blew a head gasket

#7 ·
The cab has been back on though for almost two weeks. I guess it coulda come loose. I dunno Im not gonna mess with it, I dont have time right now with work. Ill just take it to the dealer.

#9 ·
Ahh ok. Well luckily I have free towing so Ill take it over tomorrow and hopefully thats all it is.

My bigger frustration is that the incredibly obnoxious squeaking/squealing is back and its worse than before, and its in the exact same spot

#12 ·
Yeah I would love to trade it in on something new but I just cant afford it. I just hope its not a big fix

Yeah i figured my squeak out, but it wont help you, it was the header tape on my uppipes, the clamp was rubbing a bolt on the cab... bent the clamp and its all good now...
Ahhh yeah that wouldnt be my problem, it still is coming from the back of the drivers side of the engine. I thought for sure new turbos and up pipes would have fixed it.

#14 ·
Ill trade you

#16 ·
The amount of problem threads Ive made lately cause of this truck is astounding. My OBS broke waaaaay less than this truck has been and the main reason I bought a new truck was to avoid constant breakage. My truck was just at the dealer getting fixed TWO F**KING DAYS AGO.
Grass ain't always greener is it?

#18 ·
Nope it definitely isnt. I mean I thought my OBS broke a lot. This truck is blowing it out of the water on breakage.

Hey matt, tell you what, I'll sell you the stages 2s back and add some cash for your truck. That way you can have your OBS back the way it was and I can have a truck in charcoal beige metallic like I was planning on painting my truck in a couple months.
Well if I went back to an OBS it would be a different one, one that hasnt been destroyed by the salt

#17 ·
Hey matt, tell you what, I'll sell you the stages 2s back and add some cash for your truck. That way you can have your OBS back the way it was and I can have a truck in charcoal beige metallic like I was planning on painting my truck in a couple months.

#19 ·
Well I just got back from the dealer. Talked to the service manager that I know pretty well there and told him what happened.

He got just about as frustrated as I have been, calls a tow service and says he is paying for it and that they will work on it immediately and he will test drive it himself, pressurize the cooling system himself, etc. He said they will fix that and then work on the squeaking.

He just as pissed about these problems as I am. Which is reassuring cuase I know he is taking it all seriously. So the tow truck should be here soon and then we will see what happens.

#20 ·
dang man hopefully this will be the last time for many miles to come. Sucks to see such a beautiful truck have soo many problems.

least it sounds like you got a good dealer to work with :ford:

#21 ·
Yeah I hope its the last time too, Ive said that a lot the past couple months. lol

Yeah the service manager is a great guy to work with, Ive dealt with him for about 5 years now. He always helps me out.

They just picked the truck up

#23 ·
When the cab came off, did someone look to see if there was rub marks on the firewall? Could it possibly be the cab mounts?

Just throwing stuff out there Matt, I feel for you man.

#24 ·
Thanks Dom, Any ideas are definitely helpful. Honestly Im not sure if they looked at rub marks on the firewall, I didnt even think to ask which was stupid on my part. I dont think its the cab mounts cause the squeak will actually get louder and faster as my RPMs increase but if I got past like 3/4 throttle the squeak stops which leads me to think its somewhere in the engine.

Its definitely coming from the back left of the engine though

#25 ·
I know EXACTLY how you feel! Granted mine is a 6.0 but trust me, mine has been in the shop for just about EVERYTHING you can think of. When I saw your pictures I couldn't help but be reminded of how mine looked when the water pump blew up. Here are some pics I took right when it happened:

I'm looking to trade mine in sometime here in the near future or sell it out right and buy a used pickup. It must be something with the color of our trucks! You are the 5th person that I have seen with this color truck and we have all had MAJOR problems. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I know it can be very frustrating to say the least. When my gaskets went I just drove the piss out of it on the interstate with my Xtreme Race tune and tried to put the damn thing out of its misery LOL Turns out that the motor is rock solid, just everything bolted to it or around it blows dick LOL

#26 ·
I know EXACTLY how you feel! Granted mine is a 6.0 but trust me, mine has been in the shop for just about EVERYTHING you can think of. When I saw your pictures I couldn't help but be reminded of how mine looked when the water pump blew up. Here are some pics I took right when it happened:

I'm looking to trade mine in sometime here in the near future or sell it out right and buy a used pickup. It must be something with the color of our trucks! You are the 5th person that I have seen with this color truck and we have all had MAJOR problems. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I know it can be very frustrating to say the least. When my gaskets went I just drove the piss out of it on the interstate with my Xtreme Race tune and tried to put the damn thing out of its misery LOL Turns out that the motor is rock solid, just everything bolted to it or around it blows dick LOL
Maybe that is why they discontinued our color then LOL yeah those pictures of your truck definitely look very familiar unfortunately. Its definitely frustrating, I havent heard of anybody having this many constant problems with a 6.4. Ive only had the truck since october so it sucks that Im already losing this much interest in it from being in the shop so much.

But yeah I wish my freaking motor would just blow up too so it can all start fresh. lol

#32 ·
I hope you get this stuff resolved man.

Gare, one day you'll get back in saddle. I have respect for a guy that knows when to step out for a minute, and it takes great self control to not just go deep into debt for a new one when the old one can't make it anymore.

#37 ·
Ok matt, you drive a hard baragin. Im getting ready to do a complete frame and suspension restro. Im pulling everything off and making it real pretty. She will get new spring mounts for every spring too. All new bushings! So you can have my truck with no salt damage and a sweet looking frame! Eh?

#42 ·
Well I just talked to the dealer, they said one of the squeeze clamps broke off so they went through and replaced every squeeze clamp with worm clamps and they are leaving the truck on their pressurizing system for the night to make sure there are no more leaks.

So then I can pick it up tomorrow to drive up north for vacation tomorrow and then it goes back to the dealer when I get back to fix the squeaking.

#44 ·
Most of the squeeze clamps come fused to the hose from the factory, and when you remove them they take a chunk of the hose with them. Had 3 squeeze clamps fail on 3 of my SD's and they just ripped them off and put regular clamps on, and 2 developed leaks due to the weak point left from the parts swapper ripping the chunk of rubber off when doing the repair. If it was me, I would make them replace it with a new hose.

#45 ·
Hey Matt, sorry you have had such bad luck, I'm praying that chit doesn't start happening to mine. I was admiring your suspension in your coolant system fail shots. Who's is it, and how much lift, what size tires? The truck is damn handsome as most high maintenance individuals are.

#52 ·
Yeah I dont enjoy being frustrated with it either, but thats my luck with trucks. haha yeah dont get in a plane with me

Are you willing to trade a 97 crewcab 4x4 with 77,000 miles on it and some goodies? I can send you pics of it if you are. Pm me your email.
No thanks man, Im not really gonna sell the truck, I cant afford to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.