Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Help plastic plug in valley? shreded dirt in hole

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Coltaine 
#1 ·
I just developed an oil leak got worse quick one quart on ground in hour of idle found plastic (freeze plug ? ) not in very good shape under turbo pedestal passenger side back of valley hopefully someone can understand with the pictures. What is it? were does the hole go?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
the plug looks like the cover for the alt charge wire. the hole that you see in the back of the valley is to drain the fluid down the back of the motor.

#5 ·
that hole is a drain hole, it is not supposed to have a plug in it. that piece of rubber you found belongs on the back of the alternator. check the back of the alternator to see it has that cover over the charge wire terminal.

check the hpop or pedistal for the leak.

#6 ·
I second his pinion on the plastic plug and the drain hole. There are a dozen places oil can leak from up there, I would change all the seals in the pedestal, clean everything really well and put it back together so you can run it and see if it is leaking anywhere else.

#7 ·
Exactly.

#9 ·
use some grease to hold the o-rings to the pedistal also, there are alot of guys that do them twice due to pinching them when they fall out of the grooves.

#10 ·
you were all right about the wire cap all orings look fine but new ones going in anyway. as far as getting rid of the ebpv rod hanging out do you just take out the plunger/rod and plug the rod hole and replace end cap with snap ring? or do you have to seperate the ands of the chamber?

#14 ·
i ended up cutting the whole chamber off and then tig welded the holes.

for the hpop, the o-rings on the lines and the plug on the back are common spots for leaks. your best bet is looking for clean oil on the outside of the hpop. leaks will clean off any dirt that might stick otherwise. the only other advise would be to throw it back together after cleaning everything and find them then.

it doesnt take long to fix them.

#15 ·
everything around the oil pump looked old and dirty butthe whole valley was full i am doing new orings both sides of pedestal and i just put a bold and orings in the small hole of ebpv after taking out the rod and plunger. hope it all works. might be doing injectors this week to so another tear down is in order anyway. Thanks for the help guys.

#21 ·
What I do when I clean the valley is to just drench everything real good with my favorite degreaser, let it soak, drench again, powerwash slightly then just hose everything down with water for a good while. After that it's real clean and nice for a while.. But I also have a leaky pedestal so...

And for chits and giggles I blow the water out of all the connectors I see with compressed air, I've only failed to do that once and it made my CPS and water in fuel sensors act up for a couple of minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.