Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Amp Research Powersteps or Bestop Powerboards?

9K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Are these the same thing? Did the Company just change it's name? They look EXACTLY the same.

#3 ·
no they aren't. Besttop are much cheaper and quality is poor. Warranty is also different. Fell free to call up Marty from Truck Toyz and he'd be happy to tell you. Stick with the Amp Steps, they rock

#7 ·
Love them on my truck i wont say they are my best mod but damn are they nice!!! would not use them if you have to but the extender on!! IE if you have more than 6in of lift!!! because they dont look right hanging then under your door when they are folded up

#12 ·
I went through electric steps. 1115 shipped to my door with free LED light kit. I see stealth is cheaper now dang it lol. O well. these steps are awesome!!!!!!

#17 ·
AMP Research makes the Power Step and Bestop makes the Power Board. NO they are not the same. AMP Research is the originator of the automatic retracing running board. AMP owns the patent. Bestop WAS the distributor. They no longer distribute AMP Research products. AMP licensed the technology for use in OEM applications like the 2009 F-150 Platinum Edition. That company made the license available to Bestop and Bestop duplicated the AMP Research Power Step.

There are major differences in the products. Some easy to spot and some are not so easy.

The AMP Research Power Step is made right here in the good old United States of America.

The Power Step features a five year warranty.

The people who design, engineer, and manufacture the product are in the same building as the people who support it.

Comprehensive corrosion resistance is engineered into the product. Anodized aluminum is used extensively. A unique Teflon based aerospace coating is then applied over the anodizing on all of our die cast parts to a military specification. The pivot shafts are stainless steel and they rotate on either proprietary composite bushings or Teflon coated bushings. Our components are subjected to and pass a brutal one thousand hour salt spray corrosion test that is specified by our OEM customers.

The use of closed cell bump stops delivers a rattle free driving experience and a quality sound and feel to the operation of the step.

The LED lights are mounted to the body of the vehicle with no moving wires. The light is focused on the ground and the step surface where it is needed most.

You won’t find any of these features and benefits on the competitors’ product.

AMP Research is THE global authority when it comes to automatic retracting running boards.

Remember: “If It Doesn’t Say AMP Research, It Isn’t One”

#21 ·
Tank..I dealt with Bruce when I needed a motor replaced and he hooked me up!! Not sure what the hangup is now, but he will definitely take care of you.

#24 ·
I am getting ready to be needing a set of these when this lift and tires go on in the next couple weeks.

Just wanted to find out what was the hiccup for it taking so long to get in contact with you Tank? (August 19th to October 15th) almost 2 months is a long time.

#25 ·
He doesn't check the websites much, because of how many other things he has going on....

He told me he thought he had it set up to when someone sends a PM, he gets a email notification......because that is how he has it set up on other sites....he just didn't do it on this one.

I want to say......he called me yesterday, I didn't call him....he was extremely apologetic, and has no idea how he missed my other emails. He didn't even try to give an excuse, he said he dropped the ball....plain and simple.

I like companies that don't give excuses, it says a lot about them.......especially when they take care of you in the end.

#26 ·
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. That is understandable and I prefer the straight truth, no BS as well.

Even better I found I am in time to still get the sale price on the AMP steps from Raul@ Stealth. Raul told me it ends tomorrow night. Until then any step $1100 to the door. Price also includes the lighting kit and shipping. Made my day. Just an FYI if anyone else is on the fence you better make a decision now if you want to save some money.

#27 ·
I understand that AMP is better, but is the bestop bad? I just checked and i found the bestop for $800, where the amp is $1100

#28 ·
I do not think its a bad as in defective or a misrepresented product but I think its inferior to the AMP enough its well worth the extra cost.

The Bestop is a step down in quailty. I think even Bestop says as much in their own way.

AMP 5yr warranty
Bestop 3 yr warranty.

Also look where they are made and it gives you a good idea why

USA
China

Warranty periods are chosen very carefully. They are their to give a real and or perceived value to the customer of quailty and durability. At the same time to limit, as much as possible, the companies costs fulfilling those obligations honoring those warranties.

SO what does it tell you about what Bestops thinks of the quailty of their copied version of the AMP Powerstep when they are only willing to stand behind their product for 60% of time AMP is willing to. Then consider where each is made. AMP: United States of America / Bestop: Peoples Republic of China How often do you see a sign or sticker proudly shown: "Proudly made for bottom dollar in the Peoples Republic of China".

I think for a 20% price dif I will take the one that backs it for 2yrs ( 40%) longer is likely made with superior coatings ( the same ones that are mil spec for M-16 M-4 etc receivers.) Hard Anodizing (Type 3) is far tougher, harder and stronger than powder coating. Then the teflon coating adds that much more. Likely a better quailty of aluminum alloy used as well. The motor may also be stronger or heavier duty but I would have to actually see the tech specs on it. You also have AMP being the only one to be used as OEM by Auto Manf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.