Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4 Job number and differences between them.

132K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  justinr.barcomb 
#1 · (Edited)
Job 1

Build dates 01-07 thru 06-07

First builds of the 08's. Lower valence in front on front bumper much shorter than later job builds.
Radiators would leak, most should be replaced under warranty by now. Also there was a recal for a venturi T to be added to keep the radiators from splitting.
TCM, early on it was thought that the transmission control module was a hold up for transmission life, but has sense been fixed by more refined trans tuning
Transmissions,Job 1 was the only model to have an external filter as well as the internal in the pan. some hard part differences like overdrive planetarys but i dont know all the details so hopefully someone can step in a clarify the changes.

Injectors had a recall for hanging open and filling the crankcase full of fuel, VIN specific recall

Job 2

Build dates 07-07 thru 12-07

Second build batches of the 08 model year

Got a bigger valence on the front bumper, said to improve mileage by 1-2 mpg.

TCM part numbers changed. Other small changes were made hopefully more can chime in with more info

Job 3 pretty much anything built in 08 was a job 3

not familiar with all the changes

2009 Job 2 added SYNC.

Last year of 3.73 gears as an option

2010s

3.55s were the highest gear ration selection

help me out on this one, its gunna be a sticky for newbs and everyone to look at

See less See more
#11 ·
The head gaskets are pretty much the same on all Job of 08 truck. Yeah, the later ones are supposedly better, and supposedly thicker or whatever, but I've yet to see a head gasket fail on a 6.4, job 1, 2 or 3. Part number updates can occur for any number of reasons, including packaging changes, or what comes in the box, or an updated part that comes in the box.

The job 1 trucks, specifically those built before 8/20/2007, had the early, un-covered HPFP gasket with the loose wires that would rub through on the pump, chafe, and cause a no start and possibly a blown fuse #74 in the BJB. Cab removal required to repair this concern.

There is a RAFT of TSB's with date specific ranges on them, but most interesting I find the Module Reprogramming TSB's.

Prior to 8-2-2007
Between 8-3-2007 and 1-2-2008
Between 1-3-2008 and 9-15-2008

Looking at those dates, would make me think that those are the SPECIFIC breakdown dates for jobs 1, 2, and 3, since if you think about it, more than likely 2008 model year production ended in September 2008, when the 2009's started rolling off the line.

The TSB's with the dates on them are calibration updates, which took the PCM and TCM to the same calibration level, so I'm unsure why they broke them into seperate build categories. Unless it has something to do with WHAT changes each truck will have, and be noticed by the customer, depending on what calibration was in the truck when it was purchased new.

That's all I care to contribute at this time, since it's 4:22am, and I haven't slept yet. I work at 7. *sigh*

#13 ·
anybody knw wat vin numbers had the injector flaws?

#25 ·
Elite has/ had a core motor from I think 6/06 which was bought as a core. I'm pretty sure it ended up being used for mock-up of parts, as the block/ crank, some rods, and bedplate, as well as a handful of other parts were destroyed. I'm pretty sure it was one of the test motors, but that's only an assumption.

#30 ·
just looked at mine, build date was 6/07 i know the title says 08 model.

Only problem so far was a egr valve went out under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.