Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

pulling motor, suggestions?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  smokinstroker92 
#1 ·
I am pulling the motor on my truck due to an oil leak which is coming from my oil pan. While i have everything apart i plan on looking for a forged short block and plan to upgrade my turbo(38r) - thinking maybe ***'s GQSSB. Also plan on having injectors reworked also. I need some direction on what size inj. to pair with this turbo (current inj. are 200cc 30%). My goals for this truck are daily driver on the weekend and sometimes during the week and i would also like to pull a sled every now and then. also may need to tow a few times a month. Any knowledge is appreciated i am all ears.

#2 ·
Make sure the forged rod short block you start with is worth a damn.

If not, buy rods and have them installed in your PMR motor. You will most likely end up buying a set of 10 over pistons as well.

#3 ·
Have the rods cryoed and have the motor balanced while its all apart. I would say like a set of 300/200s. I would also say some sort of S400 turbo for a set of sticks like that. I think a 42R setup would work for that also.

#4 ·
Way it sounds is a gqssb will work great with some 238 or 250cc injectors. I think the gqssb is good up to 550 so it will work great with that. I personally would not go bigger then that on the injectors cause then it gets real expensive.

#5 ·
Put 100$ nozzles on those 200's and spend the big money for the rods. I wouldnt waste my money doing anything to a stock rod. Get some good rods, stud girdle, head studs if ya dont already, fire ring it (***)
Those 200's will rock pretty good with a 100% nozzle, and still tow good, as well as daily drive awesome. 200's should be good for almost 500 hp. Not quite, but close. And the 100% nozzle will still be fun to drive. Beans is making 450ish with 160/100% I think ,on their dyno.

Oh yeah, dont forget the valve springs, and a good valve job

#6 ·
i am leaning toward what ne-stroke is suggesting for inj. i think a 250 or so would be a nice piar with the gqssb as i am not looking to spend a fortune to do this upgrade. Now for supporting mods while the motor my list is as follows: studs, push rods, springs. Is there anything else that i should be looking to upgrade for this power upgrade. i already have a fuel system and an adrenline pump. Only other problem would be i have a 6.0 intercooler i am assuming that i will need to upgrade for the new charger or no?

#8 ·
The GQSSB turbo we offer would work really well with that 200cc injector and the smaller 30% nozzle, especially in a towing applications. The right tuning could make for a very smoke free low EGT setup. If you're looking to upgrade the fuel side when you do the other work, the GQSSB works great with a 238cc hybrid. Seems to be real happy around that 500hp range, though there are a few customers running it over that, one has even gone a hair over 550hp. We could set you up with a great turbo/injector combo to really make that a fun streetable usuable truck...

#10 ·
I would buy the built engine ine the classified..great parts easily worth the price.
Fix your leak sell your motor and get some cash back.

#12 ·
well i went and looked at the 444 motor and is in ok shape will need to clean it up a bit. I am hoping that i can make this engine work alright for me because i cannot find a beat on anther motor in my area that i feel will suit me for this project. I am not looking to spend that much money on this project for the built motor in the classifieds, but i would love to. After talking to swamps i have decided to have my injectors reworked to 300/200's. I have also upgraded my clutch from my single disk to a south bend DD 3600. Now i am trying to make up my mind on a turbo. I have a guy that builds turbos for a lot of guys that pull around here and is very knowledgable and he is suggesting a bw 372 cannot remember the specs right now, but i am going to talk with swamps also when they contact me next week. Anyone have a turbo that they feel is a good match with those sticks that is somewhat price friendly. figure i would update my progress for anyone who is interested.

#13 ·
Maybe a modded H2e from Hypermax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.