Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

OBDII Dataloger/ Scanner App For Droid

15K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  BigRed02 
#1 ·
Just came across this app for my phone. The app is called "torque". I am going to order the bluetooth adapter that plugs into the obdII port and give it a try.

Has anyone tryed it?

Ian Hawkins

Here is some info off of the site.
Torque is an engine diagnostics application for Android that allows you to directly monitor your car engine control unit (ECU) and retrieve various information from the sensors connected to it as well as use your phones internal GPS and accelerometer sensors to graph other information such as acceleration

Torque can be used to view any stored fault codes on your vehicles ECU, then, after a mechanic fixing the fault, it also can clear the fault codes allowing you to clear the ‘Check Engine’ light warning on your dashboard

Torque can use a multitude of OBD adapters, ranging from the cheap (and slightly buggy) adapters you can find on ebay, to the more reliable PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth and OBDKey which are the amongst the best.

The adapters are used to interface your Android device to the vehicle engine control unit (ECU).
Torque can be downloaded from the Android market ad free, or you can try the ad-supported version. Torque requires android 2.0/2.1 or above!

The change log and version history for Torque can be viewed by clicking here.

Any car manufacturered from 2000 onwards (and quite a few from the mid ’90s) should have an OBD2 compliant diagnostics port installed. Check your manual or google if you are unsure if yours has one or where it is – some ports are hidden quite well under ashtrays, etc.

Torque can also upload in realtime data to the Torque viewer website so that you can view your recorded OBD data online

See less See more
#5 ·
um, wow i'll be downloading today, and may buy the bluetooth soon, I need to check a couple of things on the work van

#6 ·
kiwi, bluetooth isn't available until sept 1

#7 ·
Subscribed.

#11 ·
It works great on 6.0's there are a few diesel specific codes it doesnt pick up but it works

Not sure how well it will work on a 7.3

#13 ·
app works good. I got the pro version and i can pretty much read everything that an insight can read. For instance....

EOT
ECT
FICM voltage
GPS Speed
HPOP Psi
Gear
Torque to converter
Boost
IRP %
Fuel level
VGT %
Trans Temp

#15 ·
Hell yes I'm getting that!
Sent from my Droid razor haha!

Which link are you guys going with? The one looks pretty nice but I'm not sure I want to drop 200 on one. Does anybody have any other versions they've had good luck with?

#16 ·
I'm using this....

ELM 327 and i found it on Amazon for $23 shipped from the US and got it in 3 days.

I have had no issues with it and it works well for me.

#17 ·
I just ordered the same one. 21$ on amazon plus 20$ in shipping. It'll be here tomorrow. All the reviews look good on it. For 21 bucks if its junk it won't be a big deal.

#18 ·
Anybody tried this on a 7.3 yet?

#19 ·
OK guys just received my ELM 327. Went to get things started but had some trouble. If you go into the manage pid's and select Powerstrokes its got the long list. How do I chose to make those show up with the real time gauges?

#20 ·
OK i think I figured it out. Anybody know how to switch EOT and ECT to Fahrenheit???

I tried clicking on the pid's then choosing edit. Changed the unit from C° to F° but no luck.

#22 ·
Did you go with the ELM 327 that is Bluetooth wireless or the one that also has the USB cable? If you went wireless do you have to do anything when you get int he vehicle or does it auto connect with your phone?

#23 ·
Thanks Tony!

Went with the ELM 327 wireless. If it's plugged into the obd port as soon as you open the app on your phone it starts connecting.

#24 ·
Thanks just ordered mine Hope this works as well as it seems.

#25 ·
I'm running mine right now in my work truck no problems so far. Very handy. Beats buying a snap on scanner for $????.??.

#27 ·
It does show trans temp if you add the pid to the display. Here's my setup.

Trans temp is tft at bottom right

#28 ·
You can also do EGT but I'm not sure how yet since the pcm doesn't log any of that data. Since the app reads through the obd you would somehow have to trans kit EGT data through that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.