Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need new wheel bearings on the EX...

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Firehunter 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Understand that, but I can replace 4 for what Ford wants for one... well almost, 3.45 of them...LOL

#5 ·
Thats what I was thinking... working on a price for a OEM one...

#6 ·
I just ran mine down to the local Les Schwab's and had them do it - parts and labor for ~$350. One of those was 120K miles ago, the other was 100K ago and no problems since.

#8 ·
Schwabs is just using the cheap aftermarket ones anyway, and they take less then an hour to change... I just cant see pissing that kind of money to those guys anymore. They have taken a huge down turn in the last 18 months or so!

I know its alot of money up front but what about a free spin kit?
Ya, thats not happening.:eek:

#7 ·
I know its alot of money up front but what about a free spin kit?

#9 ·
I put a set of Federal Moguls from O'riellys 35k miles (2yrs) ago. No problems yet, but now I am nervous after reading the replies. Are the aftermarket name brand bearings that bad?

#11 ·
I'm fixin' to install one this weekend on my '99.

I wound up buying the Duralast brand one from Autozone for $200. It was the least expensive one I could find, and if it lasts 50k miles, well, that's probably longer than I'll have the truck.

#12 ·
Hey man i agree with Johnathon the oe is the best way to go i have put wheel bearings in from napa to replace them when my oe went but since i have had to replace them 3 times already this year it doesent help if you have wider wheels and tires on them but you might want to check and see if Moog offers them i do know Moog offers a lifetime warranty on some of there products...

#13 ·
I personaly wouldn't go cheap on bearings,oem(Timkens) are the way to go.

#18 ·
ball joints were done a year ago or so...

I think we are going to go with the Napa version, but we will see.

#25 ·
ball joints were done a year ago or so...

I think we are going to go with the Napa version, but we will see.
When LS did the bearings on my truck they used the NAPA piece - whoever makes those.

#19 ·
30k on my Carquest/Timken on the right side.....no problems.101k Ford org.left side .... no problems. Right side had to be cut off for ball joint replacement....hence the need to replace.I will go Ford again....on my Ford account they said cost would be around $350 -$375.

#22 ·
timken is oem on some fords, balieve it or not i bought wheel bearings at ford cheaper then at the local parts pluse that sell the same bearing.

don't get the cheapy... its well worth the money for the timken

#23 ·
I forgot to add they go a long time with stock sized tires andmost of the time give you plenty of warning before going out. I think the rumors about them not lasting long are overblown.People who want to sell conversion kits will tell you otheirwise.

#24 ·
i bought a $200 wheel bearing when my right one went out.know it feels like its going out again.so im looking to buy a new one too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.