Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

cage

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  urbanwheeler 
#1 ·
so its about time to start looking for a cage. where are some good places to look. i cant find anything

#4 ·
a buddy of mine got plans for his '65 elcamino, then studied the rule book very carefully, then built a complete in cab roll cage. Had the nhra inspector out to certify it and the guy says doesn't pass, no back braces for the hoop, Wayne already had his rule book open to the right page and showed the guy- he was pissed and said he was nuts, then signed off on it, good to 8.50, anyway diy is an option if needed

#5 ·
I did my own cage & rollbar work, but it is time consuming to do it right. If you aren't going quicker than 9.99 then you can stick with a rollbar instead of a full cage. There is a rule that allows pickups with a full cage to skip the rear supports though, so that may play into your plans. Get a copy of the NHRA rulebook (if you don't already have it) and study the cage sections.

As far as shops, the guy that did Harvey Grant's Ramcharger did a really nice job and I've heard it was reasonably priced. Call Harvey up at J&H for the guy's contact info.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

#7 ·
Technically it's just a 5-point, you only need a side bar on the driver's side, but Mikaela might not like being "unprotected" ;)

I did mine from kits built by Art Morrison in Kent, WA. Not sure if they do truck kits, but it's worth a try. If you go mild steel (instead of 4130 chrome moly) you can MIG weld it together instead of TIG. I would also go with a removable swing-out side bar, as you're not depending on the rollbar for frame rigidity, and it makes street use much more tolerable.

#15 ·
i also have a bender, and a lot of cage experience. you do have to go by sfi specs right?

#16 ·
I have a better Idea how about you get another truck before you destroy a nice one? :poke: How fast do you need to be before they actually make you have a cage?

Plus single cabs are lighter. :

#18 ·
build the cage for what you goals are. if you plan to go faster build the cage to suit that ET. it sucks trying to back in and add to a cage.

#21 ·
same reason i built a 25.5 chassis for our drag car, it will run low 10's, but will be certified to go 7.49 at 3600lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.