Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Bicycle rack anyone?

4K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  bruce51d 
#1 ·
Looking for a good way to carry mine and my girlfriend's bikes. I want something that doesn't look stupid which is why I'm asking. What do you guys have?

#2 ·
You could put the front wheel holders in your bed or get one that goes off the hitch which i have and its easy to use i think its yakima

#4 ·
Yeah I don't really want something on the hitch. I want it in the bed for sure. I've thought about the wheel holders for sure. Maybe bolt em to a tool box?

#6 ·
Buddy here at work has that. Wheel holders bolted to the tool box.

Saw a duramax the other day that had this "roof rack" style bike holder going over his bed and over his tonneau cover. Looked kinda silly I though, but I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

#9 ·
You can buy just the wheel holder and bolt it to the box or anything else you like. I've even bolted to a wood board and just thrown that in the truck.

I use these things, cheap and work great for regular bicycles.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031488_-1_1529500_20000_400019

They also have these setups
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031494_-1_1541500_20000_400019

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes//Product_10052_10551_1091591_-1___

Note, you can't clamp a down hill rig in one as they use 20mm axles, usually without quick releases. I just strap my DH rig in like a dirt bike.

Another option if you want to get fancy is you could mount a roof rack to your bed or to a piece of plywood that you'd then toss in the bed. You can get roofrack holders that don't require wheel removal.

#10 ·
All the cool kids here have Dakine tail gate protector and hang the front wheel out side.

I have been using Thule Fork Down carriers. They were originally for the roof rack on my Landcruiser (RIP). I aquired 1"x1" aluminum tube and fastened three racks to it, cut the alu to the width of the pickup bed so there is less lateral play, and just drop it in. Some ratchet or cam lock straps keeps everthing secure. My old freeride bike had a QR20 so I had an adapter to use the normal racks. My new freeride bike has a 20mm through axle and I haven't gotten an adapter for that yet.

#11 ·
I wanna take this time to say that this is why I love PSN!
Colin asked a question about bike mounting on a diesel forum and has a few solid choices now!
+1 for the members and knowledge shared on this site!

#12 ·
I have a yak front wheel holder bolted to my tool box for my road bike and it works great. I just have to be careful when I pull into the garage haha

#13 ·
I know the OP doesn't want a hitch mounted rack but for those that do in the future, I highly recommend a swing away (like a tire carrier) rack over one that just hinges down to allow you to drop the tailgate. The drop downs are too heavy to put back up when loaded.

#20 ·
I have a bedliner with the indentations to hold a cut down 2X4 crossways near the tailgate. Cut it to size mounted 3 front fork quick release holders to it, went to an RV place to get a extra long bungie cord (72" I think). It's not pretty but it has held the bikes for at least 10,000 miles over the last couple of years......

I also wood screwed a small piece of 4x4, 8" or so to one side to keep the 2x4 from falling over.

#23 ·
Bolt some fork mounts to the front of the bed.
that or the bolt on kind.
Yakima BedHead

My dad has a ski specially desiged for holding bikes by the front forks. His is setup for 3 bikes, angles the bars so they fit and has velcro on the bottom so it sticks to his bedrug.

#24 ·
There is a few good racks out there right now. The two racks that I would strongly recommend are the Kuat NV Rack and The North Shore Rack NSR-4. They are both rated for DH Bikes no flimsy stuff. The Kuat rack will hold a wider variety of bikes, where the North Shore Rack only does well with mountain bikes.

Here are the Links:
Kuat NV Rack: 2 Bike Expandable to 4 Bikes
Kuat Racks

North Shore Rack NSR-4: 4 Bike Rack
North Shore Racks

Mike

#26 ·
#29 ·
Square aluminum tubing across front of bed with 2 vertical pieces to fit in stake pockets . Mount ears at what ever spacing you need to mount forks . slip it on and off when needed .

#30 ·
I have the fork mounts mounted to the tool box on my truck. Butthe are limitations to this: 1) can only fit 2 bikes and there is usually 3 people going with me 2) takes up all the bed space for coolers/chairs/tents etc 3) riding almost everyday it gets annoying constantly taking the tires off and having to climb in and out of the bed. So I'm building a 4 bike holder that swings up when not in use, doesn't limit my departure angle, has brake lights, and is very solid and darn heavy. Not my favorite way of mounting but I place the bike on the rack, adjust bar clamp and secure tires, it takes about 20 seconds per bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.