Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

RUMOR: 6.7 Could Make 800 TQ by end of year...

9K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  6.7Scorpion 
#1 ·
Sources: Ford's 6.7-L V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Could Make 800 Pounds-Feet of Torque - PickupTrucks.com News

The envelope for diesel power in heavy-duty pickup trucks continues to expand. In 2005, Dodge and Cummins broke the 600 pounds-feet of torque barrier. Earlier this year, 700 pounds-feet was shattered by both Ford and General Motors. Now, sources say 800 pounds-feet could fall before the end of 2010.
The 2011 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra HD pickups are the current kings of the hill with their 397 horsepower and 765 pounds-feet of torque 6.6-liter 'LML' Duramax V-8 engines. But as we first reported in March, Ford is said to be working on a major power boost for the all-new 390 horsepower, 735 pounds-feet 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel.
According to new details we've received from our sources, a high output version of the 6.7 is expected to produce approximately 400 horsepower and at least 800 pounds-feet of torque, when production of Job 2 2011 Super Duty pickups starts later this year.
We're told that a big reason why Ford can squeeze more power out of the 6.7 is because of its all-new six-speed automatic transmission and tough new compacted graphite iron engine block. CGI is stronger than conventional gray iron, which the Duramax V-8 continues to use for its block. Our source says both were over-engineered from the start to go much higher than the 6.7's current 735 pounds-feet of torque.
Will early adopters of Ford's 2011 Super Duty be able to upgrade to the new power figures after the expected change? It's unclear. Our sources say there may be a few hardware changes in addition to a software upgrade for the engine control unit.
This pretty much has been rumored since the POWER ratings was released....;)

#7 ·
More power plus a Harley edition and you may see me driving a 2012! Bring on the Harley edition 400hp diesel- PLEASE FORD!!

#9 ·
I don't see any reason why they couldn't load a new tune on the job 1 of the 2011. I can't see this architecture reaching not reaching 475HP 850ft/lb as it stands right now.. no changes.

#14 ·
Humm it would be interested to see how the new trans holds up and if the mpg holds up.

#15 ·
I think its very strategic of ford. This is how they wanted it to happen... make GM claim "oh yeah we have more horsepower than ford" and then BAM slap in the face.

#20 ·
Yeah, but the rumor from an actual GM rep was that the Dmax was stretched to it's capacity already. Yeah, there are monster ones out there, but they aren't as reliable as intended or warrantied. I'm sure from stock, warrantied, and EPA compliant standpoint, the 10 year old Duramax could have reached it's plateau while maintaining it's intended longevity. All they could safely do was eek out one last hoorah to be able to brag against a Powerstroke that hasn't even begun to give us it's fully intended potential.

#21 ·
In essence you can only redesign a design so much before you need to scrap it. I think the Duramax is pretty much there. Next generation of Duramaxes will probably see an engine redesign aswell.

Of the three I think that the 6.7 will prove the most powerful/reliable of this generation, but time will tell.

#31 ·
#40 ·
at least the guys who already own one can get the upgrade. But who really cares when all that stuff goes out the window with a tuner.

#42 ·
big k talked with matt today cause i had lunch with him and he was telling the rumors are true ford now has a new flash for the trucks to put them at 400 hp or a little more and 800 for the torque. and what he was saying is if you buy one off the lot now that they will re flash it and if you have bought one previously that you can bring it back and they will re flash it as well

so for you 6.7 owners you might one to look into this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.