12K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  southmike 
#1 ·
been running them for a while but thought i would post a new pic
both amsoil filters and wraps

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good!

Are there actually any proven results of this being better than a single filter? Bling factor seems to be the only thing that comes to mind?

#3 ·
wot runs with other filters and comparing how far the filter minder will move

#4 ·
What did you notice on your dual vs. single filter setup as far as that goes?

*I'm not knockin on you at all, just never hea much about it and I'm interested*

#5 ·
i did this after i put the 38r on my truck i wanted to let it breath as easily as possible. with the 6637 it would suck the minder to 100% at 30psi, so i then tried a k&n it still did the same ... so i added the y and with the wix and k&n it droped to 75% at wot wich is 36-38psi. so i then changed to the matching amsiol filters with equal restrictions and at wot it will barely move the minder maybe 10%.

#6 ·
hmmm so chances are just a single 6637 with a 38R and some smaller sticks like you have will not be enough air? Sounds like the filter is to restricted.

#10 ·
If hp is your only measuring stick than I guess that is enough for you to go on.

I'm certain that you could make 500hp on a stock airbox/ filter given enough compounding.

I'm 100% certain that my truck ran a lot better even at light throttle positions once I went to two air filters. It spooled up quicker, smoked less, had more boost for the same throttle position, and up top I gained significant boost.

#8 ·
I've been saying for ages that 1 filter is definitely not enough air for most set ups.

I was collapsing my filter minder at 1/3 throttle when I had 1 filter.

PS. Having your filter minder mounted in the end of a filter like that will give you a false low reading I assure you. Think about it.

#14 ·
yes i know, that is why i had it mounted between the filters and the turbo i just moved them to the end of the filters to basicaly plug the holes....

What did you guys use for a Y for the two filters?
i just used another small piece of 4" tube and contourd it to fit the other pipe...

The trouble with your set up is that it draws hot air from under the hood. I think the rule of thumb for temp into the intake is 1% drop in HP for every 10 degrees of air temp above ambient air.

There is no doubt that the extra filter should be helping the airflow to the turbo, but you got another 20 to 30 hp with colder or cooler air.

JonFord
that is only at an idle, within a few seconds at cruising speeds the under hood temps are only a couple dagrees above ambient air temps...

MYLES S... i forgot your quote,,, yes you can make close to 500hp with that filter but if i have the means to make it better why not?

03 PSD... forgot yours too..... thank you

#12 ·
If hp is your only measuring stick than I guess that is enough for you to go on.

I'm certain that you could make 500hp on a stock airbox/ filter given enough compounding.

I'm 100% certain that my truck ran a lot better even at light throttle positions once I went to two air filters. It spooled up quicker, smoked less, had more boost for the same throttle position, and up top I gained significant boost.
What did you guys use for a Y for the two filters?

#13 ·
The trouble with your set up is that it draws hot air from under the hood. I think the rule of thumb for temp into the intake is 1% drop in HP for every 10 degrees of air temp above ambient air.

There is no doubt that the extra filter should be helping the airflow to the turbo, but you got another 20 to 30 hp with colder or cooler air.

JonFord

#15 ·
500 on a stock airbox might be strechin it a bit

#16 ·
"that is only at an idle, within a few seconds at cruising speeds the under hood temps are only a couple dagrees above ambient air temps"...

I think that is wishful thinking. Unless you have some alternate way to put cooler air in there, the radiator is feeding temps of 140 to 190 degrees up into your intake system.

JonFord

#17 ·
I'm going to have to agree w/ the air temp theing because I can feel a noticable performance difference as it gets warm outside.

I figure most of that is from the intake air temps being so high.

I'll be building something soon enough to fix that little problem.

#18 ·
with a snap-on scanner it shows most of the engines perameters and one of those are air intake temps...... i watched the temp drop as i went down the road and if you do a search on here you'll find all sorts of posts on this TARM is one of the guys that has proven this i balieve, or can elaborate on it further

#19 ·
Looking good

I used an abs dust collector wye pipe on mine.

I tried the 6637 route, the biggie that shot that down was my local crackhead napa store wanted 80 bucks for the filter...that and it looks like it fell off a shop vac.
So I tried a single filter with a 3" pvc pipe (4" outside diameter) one trip around the block and even my bone stock truck sucked the minder down. Now the tabs were shot on my stock box and the pvc pipe no worky so I scavenged my shop for ideas.

Dust collector ransacked new filter added no problems, even with a shopping bag around one filter it won't set the minder, so I am thinking it was the pvc pipe.
But now I know I have plenty of filtering area.

#29 ·
I'm running 5" piping from the filter to the turbo, and the S&B R1264 is what I have been using for the past year. It's a little bigger than that AFE, and it's the biggest S&B makes for a 5" outlet. The pleats in it are pretty deep too, close to 2".

Dave

#23 ·
most of the filters will prolly do the job but why not make it close as possible to 0% restricted.... that is the only reason i did it... cause i could

#24 ·
The other issue I see is that the size of the pipe from the air box to the turbo could be larger.

If the turbo has a 5" inlet and your using a 4" pipe, then the larger filter isn't as effective as it would be w a 5" pipe.

What size is the stock turbo inlet?

#25 ·
That looks like the setup I posted on here about 2years ago. Looks good.

#26 ·
Sock is 3" and my 38r is 4" so is the pipe I used.

Thanks coope

#31 ·
i am just using specters for right now, no signs of excessive dust....well on the inside, outside gets some cleaning every now and then. but they are cleanable and seem to do the job.

afe and s&b look like good filters if you have time to order them.
i was in a pinch so they turned out to be what i call temporary permanent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.